You're very kind

Mitsuko hummed as the final credits disappeared from the laptop screen. "Okay...I guess that movie wasn't that bad."

Her brother arched an eyebrow. "Just admit you liked it."

"Pfft, the acting wasn't that great," she commented.

"Oh, and the ones in those crappy romance movies is better?" he challenged.

"I don't even like those movies that much," Mitsuko argued, rolling her eyes as she glanced at the time. "Anyway, I'm just gonna go check on our parents." She smiled at him warmly. "It's okay if you wanna eat it up here by the way."

Gakushuu grimaced, his brow furrowing. "I'm not a coward, I can't just hide from them forever."

"I know but it's okay to want space," she replied, shrugging. "Let me check how they are. That way if they're still being idiots, we can just order a takeaway and watch more movies."

He frowned, picking at a dirt stain on the side of the laptop. "Alright then..."

Mitsuko smiled at him and slipped off the bed. "If I'm not back in an hour then assume I've murdered them and we'll have to go on the run."

Her brother smirked. "I already have a contingency plan drawn up just in case."

She laughed as she left the room, closing the door behind her when she stepped onto the hallway.

Mitsuko took a deep breath before she headed downstairs to where she assumed her parents still where since she could smell the faint traces of cooking coming from the kitchen.

When she walked into the kitchen her dad was cutting up to vegetables while a large pot was boiling and something was cooking in the oven.

"...Hey," she greeted, leaning against the archway of the kitchen. "Where's mom?"

"In the garden smoking," dad replied lightly as he scraped some veg off the chopping board and into the pot. "How is your brother?"

Mitsuko shrugged. "Better..." she replied, walking towards the backdoor and slipped her feet into a pair of sandals. "I don't think he's up for some quality time Lego building  though."

Dad grimaced, keeping his gaze focussed on the pot as he stirred in the ingredient. "I didn't think as much either."

She sighed, staring at him a while longer until she opened the door and stepped outside.

The thick smell of tobacco hit her nostrils, nearly making her cough. "Ugh..." She looked to the left where her mom was leaning against the wall, wrapped up in a heavy scarf and coat as she smoked. "Mom?"

Mom tensed when she saw her, and quickly looked down. "Mitsuko..."

She sighed and shut the door behind her, wandering down the steps. "So, I gather you and dad didn't have an explosive argument?"

Mom's expression was tight, keeping her gaze low. "I'm sorry you had to see that earlier..."

Mitsuko shrugged, leaning against the wall next to her mom. "I've seen worse." She looked up at the sky as the sun overcast by the grey cloud. "You and dad definitely didn't hold back when we were younger. That wine stain took weeks to paint over."

Her mom winced, taking a long drag of her cigarette as she held the scarf tighter around herself. "Yes, I remember..." The smoke filtered out from her mouth slowly before rising. "I'm sorry you had to see that too." She sighed and rested her head against the wall as she looked up. "This isn't how I imagined things would turn out with your father, you and your brother..."