Confessions

I sigh, kicking off my shoes. "I'm home!" I call out, pushing my phone into my pocket. Their cars are outside, so I can't imagine them not being home. The bathhouse felt great, though. My body isn't as sore now, which I'm glad about.

"You were out late," my mom states, standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah. I studied at the diner for a bit with a friend. Since I still had time, I thought going to the bathhouse would be fine."

"Which friend was it?" my dad questions, setting his phone down.

"It better not have been that Kurusu boy again," my mom's voice rings up as she walks into the kitchen.

I pale slightly, rubbing the back of my neck. "Well, yeah. It was. I don't see a reason to stop talking to him now."

"Did he ever tell you what he was arrested for?"

"Yeah, actually. He's innocent. Just a wrong place, wrong time thing."

"Because he said it was?" my dad questions.

I frown. "That's really unfair to him. That's the only reason he has a record."

My mom sits down on the couch. "But that's all we know about him. We don't know who this kid really is. Maybe this was the first time he was caught because he messed with the wrong person."

"It isn't really our business, though. He's nice. Besides, I feel comfortable around him. I think I'd know if he's dangerous by now."

"No, you wouldn't. People like him want you to feel comfortable before he starts something."

I pale slightly. "He's not any older than me, mom. I know what to do when I feel like I'm in danger."

"But you may only figure it out when you're too late."

My face becomes red in anger. "I'm not a stupid kid anymore. I can take care of myself!" I don't know why I feel so defensive. They're just trying to help me. I know that.

"Never mind. I'm sorry for snapping like that..." I grab my bag, heading upstairs before they can say anything. They fall silent as I head upstairs, but I don't care right now. It isn't like I hate them. I get their concern, but they didn't care when I talked about Kamoshida.

"You'll have to deal with people like that as you get older. It doesn't make it right, but learn to deal with it now."

I flop onto my bed, throwing my book bag aside. They barely know how bad Kamoshida is, so why do they feel like the way they talk about Akira is right?

~~~~~

"What's with the sudden morning assembly?"

"I bet it's about that girl that jumped the other day."

"They don't have to tell us not to commit suicide."

"There was that weird calling card too, so I guess the teachers are freaking out?"

I groan under my breath, eyes down. Why can't people know when to shut up? If this assembly is about Shiho, they're just being assholes. Nobody jumps for no reason. Why can't they understand that?

I raise my head, looking at Ann in front of me. How can she stay so calm? My knuckles are turning white from how tightly my hands are balled. I look towards the back of the gym, Akira standing by Ryuji. They're supposed to be expelled today, but Kamoshida hasn't been at school for a while now. Strange that I haven't seen him after last time. Not like I'm complaining, though.

"Let's begin this school-wide morning assembly."

I look up to Principal Kobayakawa. For once, I wish I was in class. It would be far less depressing than this. Maybe I should visit Shiho, but it isn't like I have a right to see her. I never really spoke to her anyway, so it would seem rude now. I could talk to Ann about Shiho's condition, but I barely speak to her. Being alone definitely had its perks, but the drawbacks are catching up to me now. Akira might be able to help...