17 - The Verdict

~Aliyah's POV~

I looked at myself in the mirror, Today was Zion's court date and I had to dress nice. I was wearing a black tight dress that went to my knees and the sleeves went to my mid-arm. I put on some black boots and did my hair leaving it down and curly then I did my makeup.

After I got ready I left my room and walked downstairs to be met with Aurora. She was dressed in normal clothes because she wasn't going to go to court. "good luck have fun" she said being sarcastic. "I will I'll see you later," I said smiling at her. I walked past her and grabbed my keys as I left the house.

~~~

I parked my car and got out I started walking up to the building when I saw Austin, Brandon, Nick, and Edwin all standing outside and talking. I walked over to them and Edwin saw me and smiled. "hey" he said pulling me into a hug. "hi" I said happily that I saw him. "I'm glad you're okay," Brandon said as I pulled away from Edwin.

"have any of you been able to talk to Zion?" I asked as they shook their head no. "I'm really nervous for all of this," I said wiping my sweaty hands on my dress. "Rose keeps saying everything is going to be fine but I don't know," Nick said looking at the ground and kicking rocks.

"hey, guys" I heard a familiar voice say. I turned my head and saw Rose walk up to Nick and put her hand on his shoulder. "you guys ready?" she asked smiling at us. "yeah let's go" Austin said nodding his head. I looked at Rose up and down as she turned to Nick and whispered something to him.

Austin, Brandon, Rose, and Nick all walked inside as Edwin turned to me. "how do you feel about them?" he asked as we walked inside the courthouse. "It's whatever I don't even care," I said shrugging my shoulders as he laughed. "you sure I feel like you're jealous," he said looking at me with an eyebrow raised. "I'm not I don't care I promise," I said as Brandon opened the door to the courtroom.

"whatever you say," Edwin said as we walked inside of the room. There were already a couple of people sitting around and the jury was out. I looked towards the front of the room and saw Zion sitting next to an older looking guy who was probably his attorney.

We all walked to the front of the room and sat down right behind Zion and his attorney. I sat down next to Edwin with Nick on the other side of me. "Zion" I whispered trying to get his attention. He turned around and saw me "I'm so glad you're here," he said standing up. I stood up and we reached over hugging each other.

"of course, I was going to come," I said as we pulled away from each other. He was about to say something when the guy next to him cut him off. "Zion sit down courts going to start," he said as Zion nodded his head. Zion turned around and sat down as I did the same thing.

The judge came out of the door and everyone stood up as he walked to his spot. When he sat down everyone else did the same thing again. "This case is for Zion Kuwonu with the charge of armed robbery," the judge said looking up at Zion confused. "please make your statement," the judge said as Zion stood up.

Zion walked up to the stand and sat down. "I know this is a serious charge but there are reasons to why I did it," Zion said looking around the room. "I was blackmailed this guy said he was going to kill my family and people I loved if I didn't" Zion said as I looked over at the jury to see them watching him confused. "so I did just trying to protect them and then he said he was going to hurt Aliyah" Zion said gesturing to me as the courtroom looked at me.

"So I took Aliyah trying to protect her I told her we could go to New York and get away but it failed and we ended up here," Zion said as I tapped my foot against the floor nervously. "I do admit what I did was extremely wrong but I have all of the money that we can return back I regret it but I was just trying to keep my loved ones safe," Zion said looking around the room. "that is all I have to say," Zion said looking down quietly. I looked over at the jury and a couple of them were whispering to each other.

~~~

The rest of it went by pretty fast which I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. It was now the end of the court and the jury had left to go decided what would happen to Zion. Zion wasn't allowed to take to us but I was sitting right behind him and I could tell he was nervous. His foot was tapping like crazy and he kept moving around.

The jury walked back out in a line they walked to their seats and they all sat down except for one man who was standing up holding a big envelope. He handed the envelope to a police officer and he walked over to the judge and handed it to him. The judge opened the envelope and showed no emotion as he read it. He wrote something down and put the paper back inside as he handed it back to the officer.

The officer returned the envelope back to the man as he opened it and pulled the paper out. He cleared his throat and took a deep breath as he started talking. "We the jury find the defendant Zion Kuwonu Innocent on all charges of armed robbery," he said taking me back by surprise. Right after he said that I could feel the tension in the room decrease. It was like a miracle that he got let off with nothing.

"you're a very nice man I can tell you that but you got lucky today," the judge said as Zion smiled at him nodding his head. "thank you, sir," Zion said standing up "case dismissed," the judge said as he hit the desk with his gravel. Everyone stood up and Zion turned to me smiling "yes I'm so happy!" I said hugging him as he laughed. "come get me in an hour I'll be released by then" he said as I nodded my head. "Come on let's go," an officer said to Zion as he grabbed his arm. "I'll see you all later," Zion said smiling at all of us as I shook my head.

~~~

I was leaning against the hood of my car right outside of the jail. I was parked waiting for Zion to come out. I heard a loud buzzing noise I turned my head and saw Zion walking out of the gates wearing his outfit that he had before the car crash. I smiled and stood up as he smiled walking over to me.

He walked up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. He leaned in and kissed me and I kissed him back it was passionate and it felt right. We both pulled away and I looked up at him smiling. "I love you too," I said to him making him smile. "I'm glad you finally said it back," he said making me laugh. "will you be my girlfriend?" he asked as I smiled nodding my head. "of course I will," I said smiling at him as he leaned down and kissed me again. He pulled away and put his arm around my shoulder. "come on girlfriend I'm in the mood for lunch," he said as we walked to the car.

(A/N) Thank you guys so much for reading and voting on my book it means so much but this is the last chapter I wanted this book to be a short story kind of but I really like how it turned out and I hope you guys did too but if you ever want to check out some of my other books feel free to (: