Probation

Y/n tried her best to stay out of Shigaraki's way during the day. She was well aware of Shigaraki's temper, and she wanted to try to avoid it. Shigaraki was practically motionless on the couch for hours, y/n took that time to grab a book from her bookshelf. She sat down in the corner of the room, reading to herself quietly.

"Mystery, huh?" he suddenly said, breaking the silence.

Y/n flinched. Shigaraki didn't seem like he was awake when she picked out her novel. Y/n peeked over the pages and noticed Shigaraki staring at the cover. "Y-yeah," she stuttered. Knowing Shigaraki hates it when people do other things while he's trying to talk to them, y/n lowered the book onto her lap and closed it.

Shigaraki huffed as he sat up. "Is that your favorite genre?" Y/n was taken aback a little, Shigaraki has never asked about her before. He's been acting strange ever since he came back and forced her to join The League.

"I can't really say I have a favorite," she stated; "I read so many different genres." She knew Shigaraki liked reading too, from time to time, but she didn't know what specific genres he enjoyed. "How about you?"

"Fantasy, mostly," Shigaraki replied. That made a lot of sense. Sometimes it felt like Shigaraki was living in a fantasy world in his head. It fitted that he'd like those kinds of books. Shigaraki went down a list of fantasy novels he's read somewhat recently. Y/n didn't recognize all of the names, but she owned a few of them.

Truthfully, when Shigaraki was calm and emotionally stable, he was quite charismatic. He could probably manage to hold a conversation all by himself. Y/n can't remember a single time where she's struggled to keep a conversation with him when he was in the mood to talk.

Y/n sat completely still and listened to Shigaraki talk about whatever he wanted to. It had to be a morbid curiosity, but she always found it interesting when Shigaraki went on his tangents. Y/n felt like she learns a bit more about Shigaraki each time.

Shigaraki paused in the middle of his thought. "Oh yeah, I decided on a proper punishment for you." Y/n could feel her stomach turn as she wondered what it could possibly be. She hesitated before asking him what it was. "You see, y/n, I'm not going to say I don't trust you completely, but I don't trust you as much now. Even though I expected you to talk to a hero, I was hoping you wouldn't. Unfortunately, we can't be right all the time, huh?" Y/n sat and listened to Shigaraki talk, she wondered where he was going with this. "So, for now, you're going to be put on probation. You'll be kept under surveillance, just until you earn back that trust."

Though she wasn't happy about Shigaraki's plan, y/n expected it to be much worse. Of course, when she thought worse, she really meant painful. "I see," she said in a quiet tone, not really knowing what else to say.

Shigaraki leaned forward. "If anyone asks, I had a stern talk with you as well. We'll just keep that our little secret, right? You'll be staying with me for a while, it's just easier to keep an eye on you that way. Once your probation is over, I don't care where you go. You can even come back here if you'd like."

She swallowed hard and stayed silent. Y/n knew she didn't have a say in any of this. There was nothing else she could do but nod and agreed to Shigaraki's terms.

Shigaraki pulled out a cheap, out of date cell phone. "I want to be picked up," he demanded. It was like a switch was suddenly flipped. The tone he was using to talk to her and the tone he used on the phone was utterly different, it was like night and day.

A black fog lifted from the ground and lingered in y/n's living room. Shigaraki stood up and looked at y/n expectantly. Y/n reluctantly placed the book down and stood up. The villain reached down and grabbed onto her wrist. Y/n could feel four distinct fingers digging into her skin, he was using a firm grip, but it didn't hurt at all.