Progress

Six months passed since Himiko took y/n under her wing. The first few months were difficult for y/n, but over time, things became much more manageable. Y/n and Himiko did a combination of fundamental strength and speed training and children's' games.

Y/n and Himiko's game of Tag had changed slightly over time. After a few months, y/n was expected to keep up with Himiko. Because of that, the penalty for losing their game of Tag became more and more punishing.

The tables have turned. Himiko started each game of Tag as it. Y/n's task was to evade the girl as best she could until her twenty-minute time limit was up. If y/n got tagged, twenty more minutes would be tacked onto however many minutes were remaining from Himiko's time.

The most significant difference between six months prior and now was that weapons were introduced to their game. Now, y/n's training was getting serious. Y/n was encouraged to wear her villain costume while she trained with Himiko and to use all of the support items at her disposal. She needed to learn the positives and negatives that come with her gear.

In the colder months, y/n welcomed wearing Tomura's sweater to keep herself safe from the frigid air. As the weather began to warm up again, y/n began to suffer the consequences of wearing a sweater and heavy gear. Y/n had never experienced heat exhaustion so many times in such a short period in her life.

Although she knew the extra weight could be the death of her, y/n considered the sweater to be lucky. She's narrowly escaped many dire situations while wearing it. Because of that, y/n stubbornly refused to wear lighter clothing in the warmer seasons. Y/n wholly expected to suffer through it and learn to tolerate the warmth and extra weight.

Once Himiko began phase two and introduced weapons to their game of Tag, y/n found she was having a hard time keeping up. Armed with only a knife and her mask, y/n felt like she was at a disadvantage. After several sessions, y/n began staying up late and evaluating what she's learned from Himiko. Y/n knew she had to start adding more to her arsenal if she wanted to compete with the girl.

Y/n's first order of business was to fix and replace all her broken gear. Her mask had broken during the Nomu Attack, Tomura was high off the excitement of his success, y/n never had a chance to tell him that she broke the mask. The knife Tomura had custom made just for her was also gone. Y/n lost that while she and Dabi were out recruiting, months before the Nomu Attack.

Along with getting her mask fixed, y/n ordered additional voice boxes from Giran. Now, y/n kept a total of five on her. As the name of her mask, The Ventriloquy Apparatus implied, y/n's voice boxes were perfect for throwing her voice around. It was the first survival tactic y/n thought of to combat Himiko. Y/n began trying to throw the girl off and disorient her by placing her boxes all around. Y/n planned to try leaving verbal breadcrumbs away from her location. That worked for a while. Once that began to fail her, y/n added yet another support item.

Y/n found that Himiko was no longer falling for her voice box trick. That wasn't surprising, she was a brilliant girl, y/n knew it was only a matter of time until that trick became old. The next problem y/n faced was that she had a hard time creating distance from the girl once she found y/n. That's where her next order from Giran came in, smoke bombs. 

The smoke bombs y/n received from Giran were much smaller than what she expected. When she ordered them from the broker, she expected tennis ball-sized bombs. Much to her surprise, they came in at half the size. When y/n asked him about her purchase, Giran reminded y/n that she still needed to carry them around in her belt, smaller bombs meant she can hold more at one time. Giran promised y/n that the little smoke bombs were top quality items, ending their conversation with a playful joke as he asked y/n if he'd ever rip her off.