Chapter Seven

Talia

NICOS AND I stood in silence, at a loss for words. I tried to speak, to say something, but I couldn't will my lips to move. As if stuck under water, where everything was warbled and slow as my eyes went wide.

"How do you know this?" Nicos asked, shakily, breaking the silence. Nicos was the weary one out of the two of us; he remained pessimistic almost 99.9% of the the time. It wouldn't shock me if he was doubting Adonis' trust, something he habitually ended up doing.

"It was quite easy, actually," Adonis stated, calmly, his voice not wavering once. He flickered his gaze between the two of us as he clarified.

"Your scents were the first thing that gave it away," Adonis asserted.

Nicos interrupted him before he could continue, "Our scents? You noticed?"

Adonis grinned, "I think you are doubting my Alpha capabilities, boy. I could smell a Celestial from a mile a way."

"But... the warriors who attacked us when we first arrived here thought we were rogues." Nicos uttered, his eyebrows furled in confusion.

"They haven't come across a Celestial in their lifetime and couldn't recognize your scent. It's easy for a warrior or an average wolf to interpret your scent as one of a rogues."

It made sense. Nicos and I nodded, listening intently as he continued.

"I'm sure you're aware of this but, your scents don't resemble that of a rogues or a pack member. There are only two supernatural beings who possess that characteristic; a hybrid or Celestial being. Given the fact that Talia has a mate, I immediately knew she was a Celestial."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Hybrids can't have mates?"

Adonis thought over the question for a while then nodded his head, "It's even more rare than the chances of you and Nicos existing."

I analyzed Adonis carefully, "People still think we're extinct." I said.

Adonis scoffed, "If they knew you were alive, you probably would be."

Nicos and I winced slightly, noticing our reaction to his rather insensitive comment, Adonis apologized, "I didn't mean it like that."

I nodded. He only spoke the truth, "It's okay,"

"Is that why you are on the run?" Adonis questioned, intrigued.

Nicos nodded, "We were captured by rogue Lycans a few years ago. They've been hunting us down ever since we escaped them."

"Is that how you two met?" Adonis asked.

"Yeah," I gulped, swallowing a big ball of saliva that gathered up in my throat.

"We were cell-mates," Nicos joked, and I rolled my eyes. Leave it to Nicos to pop an unwarranted joke at the wrong time and place.

"Do you remember if you had a pack? A family?"

I glanced at Nicos who looked at the ground. It was a sensitive topic for Nicos. "Nicos doesn't remember anything or anyone. But I have small memories left, like a woman with red hair, but that's all."

I swallowed, "They stripped us of our memories."

Adonis stayed silent.

"Do you know what you two are capable of?" Adonis asked.