Flaunt

"It's so pretty!" Clarissa gushed, holding Everlyn's hand and inspecting the ring closely.

During the walk from the cafe to the office, Everlyn tried to imagine Clarissa's reaction and she nearly got it exactly right. First she squealed, then pushed everyone out of the way and hugged Everlyn with rib breaking firmness, then she grabbed Everlyn's hand and fawned over the ring with a kind of envy but also happiness.

"Congratulations," people said beaming at Everlyn before returning to their desks and beginning their daily work.

Everlyn and Clarissa walked away to their own desks secluded in the corner where they could talk about anything and everything without being overheard, and this they always did. The secrets that they had told each other had bound them together and after only two years of knowing each other all because of a job they didn't particularly enjoy, they were each other's closest friend. 

"I did not see it coming," Clarissa said, falling into her desk chair.

"I know, I feel as if I'm dreaming right now," Everlyn replied and started her computer, it froze midway through starting and she cursed. "I've asked and asked for them to fix this!"

"Who cares about that now, let's talk about this." Clarissa was a strong advocate for avoiding work when an exciting story awaited her, and a story of an engagement was a worthy cause.

"Well James and I were at the cafe like most mornings and all of a sudden I look back from the window and he's down on one knee, and he asked me to marry him."

Clarissa smiled as though in a romantic daze. "I can't imagine how happy you feel."

Everlyn smiled, her cheeks were so sore from smiling, she had done it all the way from the cafe. "I'm so happy, I'm not going to stop flaunting it."

"Damn straight, girlfriend," Clarissa said and rolled over to her computer.

Everlyn looked into the blank screen of her own and stared at her smiling reflection, the diamond catching her eye. Even the lazy tech people couldn't ruin a single moment of the day.