Home Life

I laid awake in my Jamesless bed and thought about Jane. How could I not? She had just spilled her whole heart out to me. It didn't scare me as such, but it made me worried because Jane  was normally so strong and reserved that for her to become as vulnerable as she did means that she's serious.

"Fuck," I sighed and rolled over to sleep.

James was home the next couple of weeks with his leg still healing, the doctor prescribed him rest and most importantly, to stay off it. It was driving him nuts to be cooped up inside all day, especially in such nice weather, but like an amazing fiancé, he was organising things to do with the wedding. I had hardly lifted a finger to organise the wedding, even my sister was organising the weekend which I would go and try on dresses. But it wasn't from lack of want, I really wanted to help pick things out and ring around to get the best caterers and venues, but I worked long hours and James was just so willing and easy going about doing it that I didn't see any need to stress about ringing on my lunch breaks and taking days off. 

I unlocked the front door and stepped inside, the house was clean and the smell of cooking was wafting down the hallway. I was smiling as I kicked off my shoes and put my bag down.

"That smells so good," I called down to James.

He appeared in the doorway at the end of the hallway and smiled at me, his black hair slicked back and a dress shirt on.

"Hi," he said in a way so that I knew people were there.

"Hi?" I said slowly, walking down the hallway waiting for an explanation.

"Family dinner."

"Since when?" I whispered.

"This morning, I've been calling."

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, James' name filled the screen with missed calls and texts.

"So you have been."

James opened our bedroom door off the hallway and we stepped in, I wish I had snuck in here straight away and pretended to be still at work. I sat down on the bed with exhaustion and stared up at him.

"Just break it to me, who's here?"

He laughed. "Well it was a last minute thing, so don't worry, it's not the whole family."

"How'd this even happen?"

He hesitated before shrugging innocently. "I got bored."

"Of course." I laid back on the bed and sighed. "So... who's here?"

"Your mum and dad, Rick, Steph, Mark and Jeanette couldn't come, Jeanette's feeling sick because of the pregnancy. My dad, Mum couldn't come because she's got some book club, and..."

I sat up quickly, my head spun out from it. "And...?"

Down the hallway the doorbell rang, it echoed into our room and James was frozen where he stood, he knew I was going to have an opinion.

"Jane."