Aftermath

"I just don't understand why you didn't tell her to leave!" Everlyn said, throwing pillows off the bed while James brushed his teeth. "She says things just to cause chaos, she's got some plan."

James rolled his eyes at his reflection and rinsed out his mouth, he walked out of the bathroom and leant on the doorframe watching as his fiancee peeled back the blanket and got into bed.

"You're saying this as if she's some kind of evil genius," James said.

Everlyn didn't say anything back, she didn't know what to say to get Jane back out of their lives. Jane was smart, but did Everlyn really believe that she had a master plan or was she just making herself believe it so her deeply hidden feelings didn't interfere? James got into bed beside her.

"She's not coming to the wedding," he said.

"Wait until your parents hear that one."

"Well if you don't want her there, neither do I."

"She's your sister, James, I think you have more to say about it than what I do."

"She was your best friend at one stage, I think your opinion matters as well."

He kissed her on the temple and she smiled.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"It's alright," he soothed, "it was her fault anyway," he added before rolling over and falling asleep.

But was it? Everlyn lay awake thinking. She thought of what it was like when Jane was her friend and James was just the brother, she thought of how one day everything all of a sudden changed and mainly because she was too insecure to say how she really felt. But that was years ago, she'd matured, she'd grown smarter, she knew what was good for her... she thought she knew what was good for her. 

Then that Christmas floated onto her mind, hazing over all other thoughts like a thick mist. She hadn't thought about it in years, she hadn't seen Jane to have the memory stirred up. She remembered what it was like to have Jane turn against her all of a sudden, she remembered what it felt like when Jane said all those things and the damage it did to her and James' relationship. But even as she thought about how much she hated Jane and how furious and frustrated she made her, she couldn't shake the part of her that at one stage loved her.

"Stop thinking," James mumbled beside her.

She smiled lovingly, turned off the lamp and rolled into his warm back.