I'm Coming Home: Reiner

The minute Reiner finished saying goodbye to Bertholdt, he immediately rushed to his house, carelessly knocking into a few people to whom he profusely apologized as he went. He just couldn't wait to go home.

It only took him a few minutes to reach the front door of his house. When he got there, he quickly calmed himself down. Reiner wanted to surprise his mom, but he could only do that if he was quiet. He quickly thought back to the times when he lived here. It was half after noon, so his mother was probably washing up from lunch.

He quietly opened the door and shut it behind him, being careful not to make any noise. The smell of his home hit him like a rock. Sure enough, his mom was doing the dishes; he could hear the splash of water coming from the kitchen. Smiling, he slipped out of his boots and headed towards the kitchen.

She didn't hear a thing as Reiner carefully tiptoed across the floor. When he reached his mom, he gently wrapped his arms around her. She squeaked breathlessly, obviously frightened.

"What are you-!?"

"Hi mom," he whispered, hugging her a little tighter. She froze, then slowly turned her head to see slightly wet golden eyes. Her own green ones went wide.

"Reiner?..." she whispered, turning around fully to gaze up at her son. He was so big, so tall... Her eyes immediately filled with tears that spilled down her cheeks.

"Reiner! You're home! My little boy is home at last!" Karina gripped his shirt with her hands as she started to sob.

"M-Mom! Don't cry! Please, don't cry!" Reiner said gently, leading her over to the nearby dinner table.

"Reiner! I was so worried about you! You left, and didn't come back for five years! I thought my little boy had died!" His mom continued to wail as he knelt down in front of her.

"Mom, I'm okay! Look at me, I'm right here, safe and sound," said Reiner with a smile, trying desperately to comfort his mother. She pulled him into another hug.

"Oh, Reiner. It's so good to see you again...."

"Same here." When they pulled back from the hug Reiner looked towards the living room. 

"Where's everyone else?"

"Oh, Marissa and Gabriel took Gabi to the market to get ingredients for dinner," said Karina, sniffing and wiping at her tears with her fingers." They should be back so-"

"Auntie Karina! We're back! And we brought back dinner!" a little girl's voice yelled. Moments later, fast booted feet could be heard racing toward the kitchen." Mom and Dad got stuff for stew..." 

The little brown haired girl trailed off when she saw Karina's tear stained face and the burly blonde in kneeling front of her. She gently put the bag she was carrying on the floor.

"Auntie Karina?... Are you okay? Did the big blonde oaf hurt you?" She turned her ferocious green gaze to Reiner." If you hurt her, you'll pay for it!"

"Gabi! Be nice! Don't you know who he is?" Marissa, a woman with long brown hair, had a hand pressed to her mouth, trying hard to suppress giggles. Gabi indignantly turned to her mother and pouted.

"No, I don't. Why should I know someone who makes people cry?" Gabi sassed. By this time, Gabriel had joined them, and everyone was trying their best not to laugh.

"Gabi, you should probably take a look at the band on his arm," her father whispered, pointing at the red armband. Gabi followed her father's finger with her eyes before widening them, staring at the blonde "oaf".

"REINER!  YOU'RE BACK!" The next thing Reiner knew, he was being tackled to the ground by his side 9 year old cousin. He fell over on his ass while Gabi strangled him in a hug.