Ymir

Ymir nervously dragged her teeth over her bottom lip, watching as the first rays of sun filtered through the window. Today was the day. And she was terrified.

Some lady was going to stick a needle into her spine, and hopefully pull out a Titan without killing her. A very tall order by any and all standards. 

Ymir crossed her arms with a huff, drumming her fingers restlessly on her freckled arm. She hated feeling anxious, scared, and helpless. Vulnerable. Vulnerability means anyone can touch you. The only person Ymir wanted anywhere near her was Krista, not some lady who had her life in the balance. Why did she agree to this stupidity again? Because she didn't want to be eaten.

Knock Knock Knock.

Ymir sat up just as the door to her room creaked open to reveal the black haired girl that was always hanging around the Porky guy. She gave the freckled girl one of her trademark lazy smiles.

"Good morning."

Ymir cocked an eyebrow at her." Morning. You here for a reason?"

Pieck nodded." Mhm. The extraction is in 45 minutes. I thought I should come tell you."

Ymir sighed and swung her legs out of bed." Great.... Early morning for me..."

Pieck yawned and sat in a nearby chair." Early bird gets the worm."

Ymir raised her eyebrow a little more." You need anything else?..."

Pieck shook her head with another yawn." No...just want to get to know you a little more. I've been the only girl here since Annie left, so I've missed having talks with people who...get what it's like to be a girl."

Ymir smirked and stood up, heading for the closet full of clothes that the government had generously given her." So...you wanna talk girl talk, eh? Like the whole thing we women go through each month that scares every man?"

Pieck chuckled." That, and other things. Like... Well...girl talk. Annie didn't talk much, but when we did, it would either be about our families or about people in general. She had some interesting views about our world..."

The freckled girl shook her head as she changed out of her night shirt." Annie was an interesting person."

"She was, but she was also really sweet in her own way. Did you know I used to be afraid of the dark?"

Ymir hummed her no as she slid her day pants on.

"I was. When Annie found out, she took me out to the training gym and taught me some of her fighting techniques. Then she told me that since I could now drop anyone who approached me, I had no reason to fear the dark. And from then on, I haven't needed a lamp on when I slept."

Ymir leaned against her dresser, staring thoughtfully at her feet." I don't know much about Annie, other than her mean kicks and cold attitude. Back on the island, at the end of our three year training, Annie ranked fourth out of the top ten."

Pieck ran a finger through her dark locks." Annie was fourth? Who came before her?"

"Eh...Bertholdt was third, Reiner was second, and Mikasa first."

Pieck blinked, surprised." Reiner came in second?!"

"Yeah. Why is that so surprising?"

Pieck tilted her head a little." Back when we were candidates, Reiner was the least skilled out of all of us. As a matter of fact, the only reason he became a Warrior was because of his loyalty to Marley."

"Wait... So you mean if Reiner hadn't gotten the Armored Titan...then it would've been-"

"Me."

Both girls turned to look at Porco, who was standing in the door way with his usual scowl.