24

"Was that Joy?"

Hyunsik asked Sungjae as soon as he sat down beside his senior.

"Yeah, apparently she's guarding Rose."

"Whoah, jinjja? Can you ask Joy to get me her photograph?"

Sungjae chuckled. "I'll try."

The mc at the stage talked about having the president attending the conference. The hall that they are currently in is on the 3rd flr and also the last floor and it's also wide.

I wonder if she's able to eat, she looked really pale. Tsk. Shouldn't have turned my anger on her.

He can't help but think about Joy. Since she's busy right now, he'll call and decided to apologize later.

A few moments later, the president is in the middle of talking when a man in black, probably security walked towards their table.

"Excuse me sir but can we trouble you to go  down in the basement?"

"Why? Did something happened?" Hyunsik asked.

"One of the security was shot, and the ambulance is still on the way, we need your help."

"Okay." Both answered in unison.

Hyunsik and Sungjae followed the security in a hurry,  running when they went out of the hall.

Sungjae can't help but get worried if Joy is safe too.

Only...

He never knew that upon going down the basement, it was actually Joy who was shot.

***

Joy still stood in that darkness, in the middle of the rain. After a while, she felt herself being pulled down, the concrete that she's been standing on became water and she felt suffocated instantly, she struggled for air. It felt like the water is pulling her down, like an endless pit.

***

Oh, God...

Sungjae palmed his face that has his tears. He can't think straight. He looked at her face and saw that she's like in so much pain. He held her hand that is on her side and put them on his lips as if giving her warmth.

They are already inside the ambulance and they made Joy lie down on her front since she was shot from the back.

Hyunsik tapped his shoulder. "If it's too hard for you, you don't have to go inside the operating room."

Sungjae could only nod his head.

"We have to see where she was shot, looking at her wound, it's close to her spine, her bone could possibly be damaged."

Sungjae knows that, and if it did, she might lose function some part of her body depending on the damage.

She can't be that way, he won't let her be that way...

"I've got to hand it to her, one of the lady security who was with her said that Joy managed to shot the guy on his arm."

Sungjae doesn't know if he should be proud or what but the only thing that he knows is that... He's scared. Really scared.

***

Wendy held Ilhoon's hand and smiled widely, the latter held her hand tightly. They walked through the barracks without saying anything.

"Do you notice? We haven't made any promise to each other. " She said feeling a bit dejected.

Ilhoon grinned. "Ah... So you are like that as well huh, I almost thought you are a guy."

"Yah..." Wendy pouted sulkily "Do you think of me as a guy? Why bother dating me?"

Ilhoon laughed this time before facing her, holding both her hands in his.

"Then let's promise each other right now, you go ahead."

Wendy smiled brightly nodding her head then cleared her throat.

"eoh? You already prepared it didn't you? Look at your excited face-" Ilhoon teased her but was cut off by Wendy.

"Yah! Stop ruining the moment."

"arasso arasso, I'm listening."

"You have to promise me that no matter what happens, you'll protect your life at any cost." Wendy said seriously, with their job, anything could happen.

"I promise," Ilhoon said immediately. "Then my turn, you have to promise me that no matter what happens, you'll forgive me."

Wendy was puzzled but still promised him. They sealed their promise with their pinky finger, copied and sealed.

***

With teary eyes, Wendy asked him, "Why did you do it?"

Ilhoon looked up and stared at Wendy. He stayed silent instead of answering her.

"Why didn't you believe our side? Why... Why did you do it?" Wendy said almost crying.

Ilhoon stared at her crying face and the only thing he could do is reach for her cheeks and dry her tears away even though one of his arms is aching with the gunshot. He asked that he not be tied since he's not going anywhere.

"You shot someone on our side Ilhoon, the upper ups won't let you go easily, how are you going to explain to them? You know they are watching us right now." Wendy looked up to the camera but Ilhoon continued staring at her.

"I know." He said with eyes fixed on her. "I just never thought that we'll be reunited here in an interrogation room. I'm successful then." They are facing each other, and Wendy was the one assigned to interrogate him since the people above know that he will answer her.

"W-what are you saying?"

Ilhoon smiled at her as if telling her that he doesn't regret anything only that, he shot the person he considered as his little sister but it was not his intention, that's what he regretted. Apologies won't suffice, he knew that and he'll repent for the rest of his life for hurting Joy.

"I bought you more time... I know that they'll kill you if I stayed still that's why I only wanted to make a scene there or maybe scratch that singer. I made a promise to you, didn't I?"

This time, Wendy's tears that just stopped are now falling again, it was much more painful this time. True, she was only able to escape because the people who were watching her became distracted.

Ilhoon smiled sadly while wiping her tears.

Wendy stood up on her seat and went to his side, embracing him tightly. How can this man love her so much? It's too much...

Ilhoon tucked his face on the nape of her shoulder and sniffed her smell before crushing her in his embrace.

"I promised you that I'll protect my life and I did..."

"because you are my life..."