25

"You will not go inside Sungjae."

Sungjae continued scrubbing his hands instead of answering his senior.

"This is an order."

Sungjae turned around. "No hyung, I need to be inside, I have to be at her side."

Hyunsik sighed seeing his junior with swollen eyes but he can see the determination in them.

"Okay fine, but if you ever make the slightest mistake you have to go out, you understand?" Being emotional inside the operating room won't do anything good.

"I understand."He answered and peered at the operating room where Joy is covered with a cloth, ready for the operation.

His surgeries were always successful, he can't make a mistake here.

" I just need a sec." He said and went where Joy's family is, outside the operating room. They found out after Joy was brought there.

Her father is sitting down on a waiting chair with head hanging low, both hands clasped on as if praying and Yeri is holding her mother's wheelchair. All of them looked up when the door of the operating room opened.

"Oppa, How's unnie?"

Sungjae looked at them and smiled. "She'll be fine, don't worry."

He looked at each one of them. "The surgery might take long which is normal so please don't worry too much, Joy is a strong woman, she'll get by." He said to assure them.

Her mother smiled. "Thank you for assuring us."

Sungjae smiled back and went inside. The smile on his face now gone and was exchanged with a serious expression.

He swears on his grave that she will.

***

As the surgery is ongoing, Rose and Joy's team arrived despite telling Rose that she can't be there but she can't help it.

Kneeling down in front of Joy's mother Rose cried.

"I'm so sorry... It's because of me... Because of me, she's there right now."Rose gasped for air as she apologized. She saw her friend lifeless earlier, that moment she took the bullet for her, felt like it was a slow-motion for her.

Her tears kept on falling on the tiled floor since her head is bowed down, she can't look at her, it's her fault.

"If only... If only I listened to them- If I... I didn't get ahead of myself--" Rose cried harder recalling what happened, even when the guards tried to stop her, she didn't listen to them.

Joy's mother touched both her cheeks making her lookup.

Wiping her tears, Joy's mother smiled. "Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault." she sighed. "I'm to blame because I was the one who wanted her to do this. Protecting you was her job but even if I regret, everything has been done." She soothingly caressed Rose cheeks. "What I know is, my daughter, is happy that she can protect her friend."

Rose's tears fell once again. She has taken her life for granted, doing things that could harm her, putting herself to danger, she didn't know someone else's life is at stake.

"Who is the person who shot my daughter?" Joy's father asked Irene.

Seulgi and Lisa, as well as Irene, looked at each other.

Irene sighed, they will still know even if they don't tell them now.

"Well... It's... Ilhoon." Seeing the shock written on their faces, Irene could only look down out of regret for she knows their relationship with Ilhoon, they treat him not only as Joy's friend but as a son as well.