Curiosity Made Carl Gay - 4

Carl

Right after practice, I send out a text with an invite to the chat app. I like it because it's private, not everyone can see your profile, not even your username, until you invite them to your group. Harry found it, and we use for group chatting. This is the first time I'm inviting someone outside of my family. I created a new group just to talk with Terry. This is something I don't want to discuss on some public apps.

My phone pings in a few minutes. I eagerly open the app.

Terry Stewart: Prince Carl?

I smile, Fio came up with this idea that we all should be royal.

Prince Carl: Yep. WYD?

Footman Terry: Working. On Tuesdays and Saturdays I've evening shifts at downtown 🍕

Prince Carl: Busy? We can chat later. Y Footman? 🤔

Footman Terry: A Prince needs a footman. 😉

Terry Stewart: Bad joke. Forget it. Usually Tuesdays are slow. But today we have a tourist hippie crowd. TTYL.

I put the phone in my pocket and try to figure out what the joke is. I can't. Sighing I start the car.

****

My door bursts open and Fio climbs on my bed and assaults me with a hug.

"Why didn't you tell me? Are you okay?" She takes my head in her hands and scrutinizes.

I swat her away. "I'm fine. Why are you treating me like I got some disease or something?"

"Your first ever break up. Don't bottle it in. Talk to me. You should have told someone. Share your pain." Fio gets comfortable in my bed.

"I did. Told Mom." I grumble. She's two and half a year younger than me. But she bosses around all of us.

"Really? She's your BFF now?" She's surprised I told mom first. I usually go to dad for everything. It just happened, mom was there at the right time.

"Since you didn't make my cookies." I stick out my tongue.

"There's no butter left! Can you imagine? I sent mom a very nasty text just now. She promised to buy it on her way back. Seriously Carl, aren't you feeling sad? You look terrifyingly normal." She pulls me into a cuddle.

"Did you have a break up or something?" I pet her hair. She has the curliest hair in our family.

"No doofus. I'm giving you sibling comfort. Talk to me. What are you feeling right now?" She asks, reminding me of our dentist.

I give it some thought. What am I feeling?

"It feels like when they stopped Real Reel."

"Carl! You're comparing your relationship to a TV show!!" Fio shouts in my ear.

I rub it furiously. It was a local TV series, the cast was funny and lively.

"You asked! I wasn't ready, I was shocked. I was hoping for more. It halted abruptly." I finish.

"And are you hoping for another season?"

"No. I wish her well." I really do.

"Don't you love her? I thought you loved her." Fio shakes my shoulder.

It still surprises me that Jas didn't correct the rumors, why did she let the whole school think she dumped me for repeating the grade? Is it the real reason? It matters not. It's over.