My Man - 9

Millie

Four days.

I hadn't seen Sam for four full days, all because I slipped in the kitchen. I didn't even sprain anything but Terry acted like I had broken my leg and made me stay home for two days. Then Gav took Sam to his house for a change of scenery.

I didn't even get to go with him to the hospital to take off his cast. It made me angry and miserable.

Angry that I cared for a man who treated me as his sex toy.

Miserable because I fucking missed him and my time with him had ended. He didn't need me anymore. Carl said he now walked with a cane's support.

When I was with him, I couldn't remember why we broke up or why he was bad for me. Even now I was making excuses to see him.

"I'll deliver, you stay in the shop." I told Kiran because the delivery was at Sam's house. Carl and Terry had somehow roped Sam in to host their school's pride party in his house. Carl had been trying to get someone to lend their backyard for weeks.

I would get to see Sam as well as watch what the kiddos had done for the party. I parked close to the back and waved at the two girls making out.

"Lend me a hand."

"PIZZA!!!" They screamed and came running and their screams had gained the attention of a few other kids and they all surrounded the truck. I let them carry the load and walked to the noisy backyard.

"This place looks like someone vomited rainbows." Gav said as I neared him. He himself was wearing a rainbow shirt that read,

'I'm not gay, but there's a big chance my kids are.'

I smiled, "sure it does. I'm glad to see so many kids."

Carl and Terry came to us, seeing me, waving and grinning.

"I blame it on this pair." Gav said and punched Carl's arm. "You guys converted half the school into gay. There weren't these many last year."

Carl punched him back.

"You can't convert anyone. We just made the school a more welcoming place." Terry said and leaned on Carl.

"Yeah." Carl said, pulling Terry closer to him, "like you have a garden, you see one or two birds and think there are not many around. And then one day you put some bird feeders around the garden. What do you see? Birds... lots and lots of birds. That's what we did. We encouraged the students to come out of their closets."

Gav clapped, "wow."

"Put that in the donation box." Carl said with a big grin.

Terry laughed while Gav growled. My eyes wandered, no sign of Sam.

Was he inside? Watching from some window?

As my eyes made another sweep, I found the sheriff, deep in discussion with Ritney the professor. Both wearing pink shirts.

"Chèri... I didn't know you had invited the whole town." I said picking out more adults in the crowd.

"Carl's idea. Since the lawn is big, he wanted to bring in more crowds that meant more donations. Every adult has to donate." Terry explained.

"Hmm.. I don't think you have ordered enough pizza for all." I said and my gaze landed on a figure in the most daring of a dress.

My jaw dropped.

"Is that... Sam?" I whispered.

No one replied or I didn't hear as I was already moving in his direction.