Curiosity Made Carl Gay - 10

Carl

It took me thirty minutes to reach the hospital, I hated every minute of it. The nurse was kind enough to show me the hall that had screened beds.

Standing next to the screen that hides his bed, I take deep breaths. I can't open the screen, I need another minute to get myself ready to see the damage. To see the broken Terry.

The screen opens from inside, a grumpy looking guy looks at me with scary eyes.

"What do you want?"

I recognize the gruffy voice. It kinda grounds me. Like, I'm needed here, I have to be strong.

"I'm the boy. Millie asked me to stay with Terry until he can come."

He nods and moves backwards making room for me to go inside. I force my eyes to the bed, Terry's asleep, his head has a bandage covering half of his forehead, small band aids litter across his face. Bruises, small patches of it everywhere. Except his chin. It has the biggest bruise that's still red. His lower lip has a wound that has no dressing. It looks like it burst open. Like someone punched him. I've seen enough body wounds and got admitted more times than I can count. It's part of kickboxing. But seeing Terry with so many cuts and bruises twists my inside. Terry isn't a fighter. He is a boy who talks about knees and hugs and answers your dumb questions without making you feel dumb. He is just a boy. Young boy, how could his dad do this to him?

"Don't look so glum. He is good. What happened?" The deputy shows me the chair next to the bed.

I sit. "We were walking towards the pizza shop. And Terry was telling me something. Suddenly he came, pulled Terry with him. Terry didn't fight, he just left. But I saw him shivering inside the car, I saw him crying. So I went to Millie. He called you." I recount in a quiet voice. My hands find Terry's hand, under the blanket. I take it in mine.

A heavy hand lands on my shoulder. "You did good. What's your name?"

"Carl Stimson."

"Stimson... as in George-"

"Yes, I'm his son."

"Good, good. Here, my number. Call me if you need anything. I've to go now." He gives me a card.

I stand up, "thanks. I didn't get your name sir." He stayed with Terry, instead of doing whatever he did on normal nights. He isn't in uniform. He must be a good cop to work off duty.

"Quentin. Sam Quentin. I'm with the Sheriff's office. It's in the card."

After he leaves I pull the chair as close as possible and take Terry's hand again.

The card slips from the bed.

I let go of his hand and take my phone.

There are multiple messages in princlings group. I first save the cop's number and then open the chat.

Princess Fio: Carl went on a date with a guy.

How the heck did she find out?

Prince Harry: prank? Bet?

Princess Fio: no for real. That guy is totally out of his league. Like totally. If Carl is on earth, Terry is on a well developed planet light years away.

Prince Harry: in English?

Princess Fio: he is super smart. Like brilliant. He did this project last summer explaining how friction of footsteps can be used to produce light on crowded places. I can't believe he wants Carl.