Episode 1: They Call Her "Agatha"

My fingertips brushed against the keyboard, tapping gently against the letters. On the laptop's screen, a page of words glowed, paragraph after paragraph after paragraph.

"I seriously need to stop procrastinating," I said softly to myself. "Six pages are due tomorrow, and I've only knocked out three so far."

Sat at the kitchen table, I glanced over at the oven clock. 132:1/41/4 shined in green letters.

What kind of clock is that?

I then looked to the window near the living room, where the darkness of night crept like a beast in wait. Different from the rows of lights that smiled from the ceiling indoors.

Wonder how back home is looking . . .

Just then, a voice flowed from the top of the nearby staircase.

"Oh, MC~," it sang happily.

Next came the footsteps, thumping and thumping as the person skipped.

Before I knew it, she appeared before me, as terrifying as when I first laid my eyes on her. A little girl, no older than nine, maybe ten. She wore a tattered gray dress with a white undershirt, covering her white-like-marble skin. Dark hair fell down to her shoulders. But my focus leaned more towards the oddities: the wide smile packed with rotting teeth; the black marks staining her cheeks, stretching up to her ears; the hollow eye sockets that looked like endless black holes. Her legs appeared normal, human, but for arms, limbs darker than shadows showed, complete with slender fingers and sharpened claws.

"Hi, MC!" the girl cheered, her grin widening.

"Hey there, Agatha," I replied, my own lips curving a little. "I thought I told you my name before."

"You did, but I think 'MC' is a way better fit! Don't ya think?"

"Whatever tickles your fancy, I guess."

I kinda don't wanna ask what "MC" stands for . . .

Agatha leaned in towards me, her curiosity pouring over my laptop.

"Whatcha dooooin?" she asked.

"Homework," I told her. "Essay's due tomorrow, and I had the brightest idea to not start it till last minute."

"Essay? What's an essay?"

I raised my eyebrow at her. "You don't know what an essay is?"

Agatha perched her hands on her hips.  "Goody goody gumdrops, don't you know how young I am? The most I do is learn how to scare the heck out of mortals like you. Doi!"

"You say that like I'm supposed to understand . . ."

Switching the topic, the little girl sprang to my backside, then climbed onto my shoulders.

"Never mind that," she said. "Come play hide-and-seek with me!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't right now," I answered. "This paper is worth twenty percent of my grade. I can't exactly turn a blind eye to it."

"If you all have to do is turn in a piece of paper, you're basically already done."

"Well, no, I didn't mean a literal piece of . . .  A paper is the same as . . ."

How do you explain schoolwork to a demon?

Agatha pushed and pulled on me, rocking us both back and forth.

"Come play with me!" she pushed. "Come play with me!"

My eye twitched a little.

How did it end up like this? I wondered, knowing full well the answer.