Chapter 1

Alyson sat back further into her seat as she clutched a box full of unopened letters to her chest and breathed anxiously.

"You know not reading them will only make it worse," the playful voice of Hayden called from the driver's seat next to her.

"I know, I know, but it feels like I've been waiting for this moment my entire life. What if he's not the person I think he is? What if the letters are full of some crazy rambles of a man who has simply lost his mind?" Alyson says eyeing the box wearily.

"Jesus! Open the box before I open it and toss it out the fucking window! You've been doing this for at least four hours just open the damned box!" Dylan spued tired of hearing Hayden and Alyson discuss this while he was trying to sleep, Collin gave him a look of appreciation also feeling the annoyance of hearing them bicker.

"Fine, fine Jesus you two need some sleep you're getting cranky," Alyson muttered more to herself though with the wolf-like hearing she knew they'd hear it loud and clear. They grumbled but said nothing as they got comfy and were soon asleep.

Alyson sighed as she opened the box and grabbed the first letter. She assumed it was the first since it was the only one opened, though it was addressed to her. It was torn jaggedly as if whoever opened was mad it was even there. Alyson carefully opened the envelope and unfolded the crinkled letter. It was written in just barely legible handwriting it was clearly male.

It read:

Dearest Alyson,

I doubt you are even of age to be able to read this letter yet, so I'd assume you read this at a much earlier age or Andrew read it to you. You two seem quite close.

I bet you're wondering why on earth I wrote you these letters, out of all your siblings what makes you special? The answer to that is simple, you are not like your siblings, Alyson. In many ways you are different.

The biggest way, you are merely their half-sister, because you are my daughter. I won't go into detail just yet but please believe my words true, that is if you hadn't already figured it out. If so, I wonder how long your parents held the information from you.

I'm writing you these letters because I don't want you to forget how much I love you. Just because I couldn't be around when you were growing up doesn't mean I didn't want to be. I tried to stay there and be with you. But after I lost the custody battle for you, your mother got a nasty restraining order placed on me. I wasn't allowed to be in your presence for a 30-mile radius. That meant I had to move out and find a new place to live.

That's why I am in Canada at the moment, not really sure where though...last time I checked I was somewhere in Quebec. All I know is it's up north somewhere and it's extremely cold for summer. If you though Maine winters where bad, wait until you see the summers here!

I have much to talk to you about. I hope this letter found you at some point! That you and I will be able to meet again when you do read these letters.

-Your Father Matthew M. Archerson

_____

Alyson couldn't stop the tears from falling down her face in rivers as she read this first crumpled little letter.

"You okay?" Hayden asked looking over at her worriedly as he gripped her empty hand in his own.

"Yeah, just too many emotions at once is all," Alyson said chocking on her tears making her voice stiff and raw.

"You can stop now if you want," Hayden said his eye flickering between her and the road.

"No, I need to read these, they are the only clues I have about him," Alyson said slumping even further into the seat if possible.