CHAPTER FIVE

___________________________
She scratched her nape nervously, dropping her head to avoid Mama's intense gaze. She just wanted the ground to swallow her up that minute. "Mmm...I'm fine," she said into the phone she placed to her left ear, raising her head up slightly to see if Mama is still watching her. "Could I call you back, please," she said, sounding more nervous than when she had screamed a 'what' before.

She regretted taking up the phone from Mama. She couldn't believe what Zarah is actually up to. Handing over the phone to her brother, when Mama is right beside her!

"Okay, But you should call back, as you've promised," she heard him say from the other side. She cleared her throat and nodded, as if he could see her.

"I'll," she briskly said, hitting the end back button of the Nokia phone. She stretched her hand over to Mama, and she collected the cell. she stood up to leave but her subconscious hit her. 'What if he calls again, innalillahi wainna Ilaihirrajiun, what should I do,' she sat back again, fidgeting her hands apprehensively. This could get even more awkward.

"What's it," Barira asked, her attention on the small tray of beans she is picking. Barira was only 16 when she got married to Mahmoud. It might come as a surprise because she didn't even finish through secondary school. The moment that her father had ones sent her with his clothes for starching, she met Mahmoud in the shop.

And like magic, they clicked. Since she only attended a small government school in Kumun, where they lived, It could even be harder to pass the university entry exams and pass through. So, the moment her parents noticed her relationship with Mahmoud, they didn't hesitate to make it official. Moolah appeared hardworking and a very polite man. He was modest and only 25 at that time.

How live was beautiful for them, even with much hardships. Barira started a business, buying and selling ankaras, with little profit. And then just two years into the marriage. They were blessed with a beautiful daughter, which they named Ruwaida. And then after four years came Abdul. Father as a tailor wasn't much of a profitable job to cater for four, but Mahmoud did his very best. And after so many years, Barra came into the picture.

And Mahmoud had kept it a promise to educate his children to the very best he could, even tho, he didn't get that chance. He wouldn't want his children to suffer like he'd.

"Ahh nothing, she just wanted to check up on me, I'll leave now for school," Ruwaida replied and stood up. "I'll go get my bag,"

"Adawo lafiya," came her mother's dua as she went into the room she shares with Barra, while Abdul got the empty spare storeroom all to himself. Where he had a mattress, his two large clothe bags, and some boy stuffs. She picked her shoulder bag and sat on the bed, looking at the scraped bedside drawer. She smiled and drew it open, taking out the pack of chocolates and the small piece of paper that was still attached to it.

Even after reading it countless of times, she still feels like she needed to laugh again. It is quite funny. Who still writes a girl a letter? Oh-she doesn't have a phone. That's quite much understanding. "What's he doing," she absentmindedly spoke out, turning to read the labels on the chocolates. She doesn't even take that stuff. She always find things she's not used to, to be weird. And chocolates are probably part of them.

Hearing her mother yell her name, she quickly placed them back and rushed out. And after saying her goodbyes, she took an Okada and headed directly to the university.

********
After finally done with her lectures, she went ahead to read and check out a few things in the library. With her not able to have them done quite easily, she'd to always spring from a cafe to a library. Abby had promised to buy her a phone, but she couldn't keep on reminding him when she knows how much he's managing on his side.

She was about leaving school when she sighted Zarah and a bunch of her friends by the LB theatre. And just at that, Zarah too turned to meet her gaze, raising her hand up in a gesture.
"Waida," she called, pushing through to stand in front of her.

Ruwaida glared playfully at her, turning to adjusting her bag. "Youu!," she yelled and dragged her small pink veil. Zarah screeched, making them look like helpless three year olds, one struggling to free herself from the other.

"Calm down I can explain," Zarah claimed, finally getting released. "Why are you even angry," Zarah asked with a teasing tone.

"I'm not angry okay, why will you do that,"

Zarah gave her an eye roll, taking her hand to the sit them both by the bench just underneath the mango trees that adored the Engineering department. "He asked me too, I couldn't decline," She added like it's the most simple thing to hear.

Ruwaida raised her brows questioningly. "He asked you to,"

"Yes, what's so surprising," Zarah asked back. Ruwaida finally got muted, unable to reply Zarah. She just couldn't understand them both.

First it was the awkward lunch, then the time she'd mistakenly bumped into him, the hospital incident, coming right to her door to check up on her, sending her a 'get well soon'  pack and now his sister is acting like it's the most normal thing to do. she wouldn't say she doesn't like it, but  the fact that she did scares her to her bones. "It is very surprising,"

Zarah laughed a bit. "I'm not sure it is, and come on! stop thinking much about it, he's just being a caring human being," Zarah joked with much emphasis saying the last words. Ruwaida grinned with her head bowed, the grin was clearly fake. She didn't quite find it funny, at all. "Oh and please get yourself a phone, stop acting like a nerd,"

Ruwaida laughed at that. "Oh please, I don't need a phone that much, besides I can do everything in Sale's Cafe, you know I don't mind," she replied.

"Mmm, kedai kika sani (mmm, that's your own problem)," Zarah ensued and laughed at her sulked expression.

How is the story?!!!!!

Love_
Silentwriter ☕️