CHAPTER EIGHT

_____________________________
Mahmoud smiled at his daughter, taking the nylon she held, while getting on his old cranky motorcycle. He placed the nylon on the front part of the bike and clasped it still with the metal holder. "Now! Rush back in and help your mother, she said you'll have to go to malla later right," he asked, roaring it to life, totally ignoring the funny sounds it made.

Ruwaida gave a quick nod. "Oh yes, we all are going along with her, Abdul has his last BECE paper, so he'll stay back," she replied, adjusting the wrapper she used to veil herself.

"That's good, I'm sure Hadeza will be happy to see you after very long. Well, I'm off to work, please take care of yourself, Barira told me what happened when I wasn't around, the moment you feel any pain, don't hesitate to report it, I'm clear ain't I,"

She gave him a broad smile, watching as he pushed the metal door open and steered out. Ruwaida's heart swirled in happiness at how much their father tries his best to cater for them, even tho, the little he had couldn't cover it all. But they were very much contented.

She made her way back into the living room and almost shrieked in annoyance, seeing the mess Barra had created. But it is partially her fault, seeing she left the plate of spaghetti lying on the mat she sprawled earlier to eat, but then left to help pack her father's stuff so he could leave for work. "Barra! Ya Ilaahii! What have you done you!," she yelled, watching the girl place a finger to her mouth cheekily, with her white and blue dotted frock stained in red palm oil.

Ruwaida frowned and took up the plate to the kitchen, then came in with a broom and packer. She rushed and tidied the place, before changing Barra into another washed gown. "This place looks like a palm oil industry, I'm sure Barra did this," Abdul exclaimed with a laugh. He walked into the living room and sat himself down on one of the two sitters.

Ruwaida huffed from the room just a door from the sitting room, making Abdul to laugh even harder. "This girl is becoming something else, Where's Mama," He asked with a rise to his tone.

"I think she's getting ready In her room, we'll leave soon," Ruwaida answered and walked out with Barra strapped in her arms. "Just look how cute she's! I'm not sure I'll be able to scold her with does doe-like eye staring back at me," Ruwaida beamed excitedly, pinching the girl's nose in an endearing manner. Barra jerked backwards and giggled.

"What do you expect? She looks just like me," Abdul replied, yanking his shirt's collar dramatically.

Ruwaida gave him an eye roll. "Oh please! Spare me, I'm not sure she'll be happy hear you say that when she's older,"

Abdul laughed before turning his gaze to Barra who busied herself, playing with Ruwaida's earrings. "You can't just speak for her miss, let her talk. Bari dear, Ya Abdul looks just like you right," when she didn't even give a reaction, Ruwaida laughed and walked to the kitchen to turned off the stove, ignoring Abdul's grunts.

She brought down the boiled rice and served them all in different bowls, stewed it and brought one for Abdul, sitting Barra beside him In case she tries another silly food fight.

"Mama, food is ready," Ruwaida announced and peeped into her mother's room. She watched as her mother made her scarf elegantly over her head.

Done with the scarf sighed and took up her Hijaab from the bed. "Zan saba maki Ruwaida, What did the Doctor say about stressing yourself? I told you I'll cook but you went on to do it ko? Wato ban isaba,"

Ruwaida smiled nervously, not because of the scolding she's about to get,rather because she might have just let the doctor's thoughts linger in her head for a moment more than necessary. "I'm sorry Mama, would you come out now? I've already served it,"

Barira hissed and ignored her, wondering how she'll deal with Ruwaida's stubbornness. The girl enjoys doing what pleases her and not what's she told; even with all strictness.

Ruwaida walked back into the room to see Abdul almost done with his. "I'm not sure that food is passing down your throat," she mocked and he payed no heed to her. She can't imagine how famished he's.

"Laaa! I forgot to tell you! Someone's outside waiting for you," he said, and looked up at her confused face. "I also didn't ask who he's lol," he added.

Ruwaida turned to make sure Mama's door is closed. Just maybe,she might have a clue who that someone is. "you didn't tell me?! And just decided to 20 minutes later," she shook her head and wore her hijaab before she made her way out. Murmuring how insolent her brother had just acted.

She closed the door behind her before yawing her gaze to the open compound. Letting the sun rays make a harsh contact with her face. And turning to her left, she found his car this time, parked closer to their house and him pressing his phone while he stood beside it.

Feeling a shadow approach him over his head, he slightly looked up. And seeing her making her way up to him, he smiled in tranquility. Happy that she's getting better.

"Hey," He called after she had finally stopped some feet's from him.

"Walaikummussalam," she uttered sarcastically. He laughed a little. Seeing her talk like that, he couldn't wait for the tests to be ready so the drugs could be precibed. She's starting to look a bit dull with her eyes loosing their glint.

"Toh Malama Ruwaida, how have you been," He asked nonchalantly. Looking at her, he anticipate her happy demeanor to not flatter after all that's yet to come.

"I'm getting better Alhamdulillah, don't you get tired of checking up on me? or do you do that to all your patients? I'm starting to wonder," She asked jokingly, but she somewhat wanted a sincere answer this time.

He laughed, adjusting his eye glasses as he did. "Will an answer make you finally bless me with your contact," He asked back.

"I don't have a mobile," she replied hastily, hoping Mama is yet to start looking for her around the house. What if they're already set to leave and she comes to find her out here? It sure wouldn't end well!

But just a few more words wouldn't hurt will it? Oh-it sure wouldn't. "It's strange, but emm, that's okay, I can always come here to check on you, am I given the permission," he asked with a wide grin and placed his left hand to his chest, the other grasping his mobile securely.

Even if she felt a strong urge to laugh, she did well in concealing it back. "I'm not sure I'm the one you're to ask that," She replied, and he had to crack his brain to get her words. But before he could reply her, her brother came and asked her to come back in, Mama need her.

"Ya Turaad, I'll see you when you get the permission," she whispered, enough for him to hear. She turned and walked away, leaving him standing like a fool, watching her retreating back.

No! She did not just make him speechless...

Love_
Silentwriter ☕️