CHAPTER NINETEEN

Muhammad turned off the handbasin tap, reaching out sedately for the pure white small towel to clean his face, he heard his mother call out to him, and he wondered what she wanted to tell him this time. If not for Baba sarki that had asked for him the day before, he wouldn't even dare live Zaria to come and listen to his mum say ill words about the girl she hasn't even seen yet. So he could meet Baba Sarki early in the morning, he left Zaria after Esha prayer and headed to Yamma, just to avoid been late the next day. He couldn't risk Baba sarki complaining to him about punctuality.

He raised his head up and looked at the mirror. Running his hands through his beard, he promised himself to get a haircut before he goes to meet Ruwaida. His hair looked much like a bush. He smiled a bit as he walked out of the bathroom, and behold! his mother sat with legs crossed atop his bed, wearing her favorite cream hijab. Hearing him close the door shot, she wrecked he head up to look at him, with her signature glare.

"Muhammadu didn't you hear me call you," He felt like whirling his eyes around like a teenage girl at her words. But he didn't, he rather, sat himself on the grey colored rug, his hands clasped into each other. She knew he was in the bathroom, and in a normal occasion, she would have scolded him if he talked while in the bathroom. But unfortunately for him, she just gets on a trip these days, especially seeing that he wouldn't give up on marrying that girl.

"I was in the bathroom Ammi, ina kwana,"

"Lafiya," her short reply isn't what bothered him, but rather, he felt a sting of sadness over cloud him, knowing she'll mention Ruwaida, and that, in a very impolite way. "I heard Baba Sarki summoned you here, what's it about,"

Muhammad sighed and turned his face to the window, the curtains swishing to the direction of the early morning breeze. He can't deal with this, not with his own mother. He hated the fact that he will be doing something against his mother's will, even tho, it isn't prohibited. He still felt attacked.

"Turaad magana nike maka(Turaad I'm talking to you),"

"I really don't know Ammi, but the moment I'm back from meeting him I'll come and see you," He replied, and made to stand up, but she called him back and ordered him to sit. She sat silently, peering blinklessly at him, as if trying to figure him out.

"Muhammad,"

"Naam Ammi,"

"Muhammad," This time around, she shook her head to make her stern point.

"Naam Ammi,"

"I don't want you to marry that girl," Muhammad didn't know when he moved uncomfortably and sat on his legs, mopping his hand over his bushy hair as he called it. He felt attacked, stabbed in a way he seemed powerless. Ammi is asking of him something that will lead him for the first time ever, to disobey her. He couldn't do what she's asking. He really wants to marry Ruwaida; in fact, not just because he wants to help her through her medication, but, with all his heart, life and soul, he wishes her his.

"Ammi Dun Allah let's not talk about this, she's really very Islamic, you'll like her," he made it a mission to make Ammi understand but she's also as strong headed as he's. She is even more determined to stop all that's happening, more than him.

Hajia Bilkisu hummed adamantly, giving him a look over. "It's not about that, do you want what happened to Baba Shuaibu to repeat its self," she wanted to manipulate him now, and she knew better that, it wouldn't work, but she still went on to try. She can't have her son marrying some tailor's daughter. Of all people, a Business Tycoon's wife wanted her daughter for Turaad, and now, she can see that he's trying effortlessly to detangle her relationship with Hajiya Sauda.

"Please Ammi, at least see her first," He slowly looked up to give her a pleading look. "For the sake of Allah,"

"Muhammad, it's just that I want the best for you. Try to also see things from the perspective of a mother, I mean...I know what I'm saying when I in the presence of Baba sarki showed disregard to your wish," She moved her hand slowly and patted the space beside her, and Muhammad looked up and then, grudgingly stood up to move closer to her.

"Ammi, I do understand that you want the best for me, you always have, but at least see her first...,"

"What if I still decline after seeing her? Will you still go on and marry her,"Hajiya Bilkisu cut his sentence midway with a lunging question. He can't even imagine getting married with his mother against it. How he wished there's some way he'll make Ammi understand, but it's like she's hell bent on making his life blue.

He's sure she'll set the Royal residence on fire the moment she knows that the said girl is suffering from cancer. Another tango!

"You're quiet Turaad, does that mean you'll still marry her? Ikon Allah! has she bewitched you or something? That you're willing to go against your own mother," Her words shocked him, making him slightly bow his head to hide his reddened face.

He brooded silently for a while before he spoke, his head slightly upwards, while his eyes had a little view of Ammi's face. "Ammi, she didn't bewitch me or anything like that...," he released a small chuckle and the thought of the girl that does not even love him, entrancing him just to marry her. It doesn't quite make sense, and he thought of it funny.

He turned to Mama a little hopefully and then said. "I'll go see Baba Sarki, don't forget to have your pills Ammi," And grabbing his Zanna Bukar cap from the bed, he plunged out the door, leaving Bilkisu to stare at his retreating back. She stood up too, ready to leave when Zainabu came rushing into the room. She looked a little disheveled, wearing a squeezed brown veil, and her long but unkept hair, trudging outwards.

"Ina Kwana Aunty Bilki? I went to your room but Safiya said you're here," She moved to the bed and sat down, hurriedly dragging Ammi's hand to sit her back. "Where are you going? Don't you know what's happening?,"

With narrowed eyes, she looked considerably at Zainabu before she spoke. "What's happening where,"

"What else? You should have seen Bashari's excited face when Baba Sarki asked for Ado so he could get some gifts...for Muhammad's engagement, how dare he go against you," Zainabu gave her face a disgusted look, wanting Ammi to give her the exact reaction she wants. One thing about Zainabu is her ability to steer you and change the way you see things.

"Hmm, I don't know Aabu, I talked and talked but yaran nan yaki ji, I'm even out of options on how to make him understand, he badly wants to marry the girl," Zainabu stood up and placed her hands together, clapping them continuously.

"By Allah I advice you do something before he brings trouble into his life with his own hands, Aisha will be the only girl that will match his league," Zainabu placed her hands akimbo, seeing Ammi sat quietly without uttering a word. "Just see how Hajiya Sauda keeps taking about him,"

"Zainabu, I can't stand Muhammadu arguing with me, but let's see, let's see how he gets married to her," Hajia Bilkisu looked up to see Zainabu's confused self, a confident smile gracing her face.

Love_
SilentWriter 🦋