CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

There's just this satisfactory feeling of being appreciated when someone likes your food. And that was the same for Ruwaida. She was immensely overwhelmed by a sense of contentment and merriness when she peeped through the warmers she kept earlier for Turaad and found them empty. She smiled as she cleared the table, now, even more determined to fight her fatigued-self and make his lunch.

She stood by the basin to wash the used utensils when a wave of dizziness shrouded her, and she hastily gripped the edge of the basin for support. She hated the side effects of the chemotherapy, sometimes it makes her think it was not worth it. It's side effects are that severe.

"Are you alright?," she did not here when he'd walked in, and for some seconds, she was a bit frightened. She took a deep breath and then nodded, prying away her hands from the basin.

"Yes, just felt a little dizzy," she replied and grinned reassuringly. She noticed that he was now dressed, not too casually and something in her begged for it not to be what she thought.  "Are you going somewhere," she asked softly, taking a closer look at him, and that was when she noticed his black bag.

And when he stared back with a little nod, then she agreed that of course! there was nothing she wanted more than to have him with her all the time. "I'm resuming work today InshaAllah,  a kidney stone examination with Dr Aisha will take place in 2 hours and the patient is very young, you know how much I've stayed home but I'll  be back tomorrow evening,"

"Okay...May Allah assist you," she prayed, and when he muttered an Ameen, she continued. "would you like something before you leave? Maybe coffee," Ruwaida seemed to have a thousand and one reasons to delay him, and one of her tactics seemed to have worked when he answered and sat peaceably on one of the kitchen chairs, waiting for a steaming cup of coffee.

"Thank you," He smiled as he took the cup from her while she sank into the chair close to his, just watching him drink coffee. "You now make better coffee than I do," he said, and Ruwaida could feel his fierce gaze on her every move, and she hated that she felt awkward. She looked down at her hands while she dragged the few strings of her skirt.

"I'll take that as a compliment, thank you," She answered, and laughed a little breathlessly. He laughed too, placed down the mug and when he stood up stretched both his hands to pull her to her feet.

"Take care of yourself would you," his actions had surprised Ruwaida so much that she didn't here what he had said, but natheless she nodded, searching his eyes for answers of why he did what he did. He smiled at her. "Oh! And Zarah will be here soon, I called her to help you, don't stress yourself okay?," she again nodded and if she knew more surprises were coming, she would have made a mental note to stay alert.

But when he leaned over her face and pecked her left cheek, her eyes bulged out of their sockets and she swiftly turned away, picking up his bag and pushing it to him in an attempt to hide how flushed she felt. Turaad saw that and he sniggered, taking the bag from her and she all the while, avoiding any sort of eye contact.

He made for the door and then stopped. "Ruwaida,"She hummed shakily, raising up her head. "I'll see you tomorrow," He smiled and she hummed again, forcing her lips to move upwards. 

"Okay,"he closed the door behind him and Ruwaida walked back into the living room. She couldn't do the chores with her situation, she knew she couldn't. Now she'll sit and watch the drama all alone, she thought miserably. She turned her head promptly to the door as she  heard it open. Zarah walked in, a bowl of sliced watermelon in her hands and she grinned on seeing Ruwaida.

"Hey In law!!!," She gave Ruwaida a side hug then joined her on the sofa. "What are we watching? Thankfully I have no classes today," She beamed, placing the bowl on the center table. She also took out her phone which was in the front pocket of her blue jeans, and placed it beside the bowl.

"I don't know, you choose," Ruwaida replied, turning to hand over the remote to Zarah. "I'll do the dishes first," she smiled and stood up, but Zarah followed her and insisted that she help her get the house cleaned. And together, they washed the plates, mostly with Ruwaida taking breaks to sit on the stool. Now, little use of energy renders her tired. Thou, the few times it happened, she became alarmed and fortunately Muhammad was able to explain to her why it was happening, then she got used to it for the few days.

They went back to the living room and decided to watch a random series, mostly with Zarah on her phone and Ruwaida occasionally zoning out. Her attention revived fully when a long hiss escaped Zarah's lips and she swiftly turned to look at her. "What happened," She asked taking up her head from the arm of the sofa, noticing how angry Zarah had seemed.

Zarah raised up her hand in dismissal and closed her phone, literally throwing it back on the center table. "Let it be Ruwaida, someone thinks she can threaten me, her useless threats won't work on me, ai intasan wata batasan wata ba, Wallahi her childish menace would never make me change my mind," she shrugged and clapped her hands together dramatically, Ruwaida, watching her with curious eyes. 

"Wait...what did you say happened again? I don't understand, talk to me," Ruwaida sat up properly, taking up the remote and soon the background noises deafened as the TV went off.

"I don't even want to talk about it, just let it be," Zarah spurned, closing her eyes shot as she saw the flashes of the messages ones more,
flickering through her mind.

Ruwaida reached for her hand anxiously. "Zarah? Now I'm seriously disturbed, what happened?,"

Zarah felt bad for making Ruwaida worried. She was intended to keep her company and not to worry her with some psychopath's maniacal threats. She felt a stab of Ruwaida's intense stare and she placed her other hand atop Ruwaida's. "Waidatu! Don't worry so much, it's nothing I can't handle, you know...there's always some sort of rivalry here and there. I'll take care of it," she shrugged with a sheepish smile, noticing that she'd only confused Ruwaida the more. She rolled her eyes and huffed. "will you quit treating me like some three year old, I'm fine!,"

"Are you sure?,"

"Gosh! Now you sound like you're older than I...sister in-law," Zarah made sure to put extra emphasis as she uttered the last words, making Ruwaida to hoot in a series of titters.

Zarah took a slab of the watermelon, praying silently that Ruwaida won't ask her or pester her to tell her about the issue at hand. She would have consulted Ruwaida for advice on what to do, but she was not so sure if Waida would agree to keep her secret from Ya Turaad. She agreed deep within that she could manage; all by herself.

Later after Isha prayer, she left and Ruwaida did some few things to weigh away time. She took her pills and went to sleep, but something refused to let her sleep peacefully. Her eyes seem to snap open the moment she closes them. And when that happened for a few more times, she got up from the bed, and checked the time on her phone; It was barely 11 pm. She sighed and placed the phone back on the bedside drawer, sauntering out of the room.

She's going to do something crazy, even she could feel it.

Ruwaida heaved a sigh as she meekly pushed the door open, she but slowly walked into the room, taking in the neat appearance of everything well kept in its place. She'd been in Turaad's room a few times, but had never slept in, and now, she doubts that not happening. And soon, she found herself cocooned under the blue quilt, the AC lulling her into a dreamless slumber.

Eid Mubarak ❤️

Love_
SilentWriter 🦋