CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Ruwaida slowly tucked Barra beside her, a slight yawn escaping her lips. Feeling as if being tickled by the immense cold breeze of late December, she pulled up the duvet and covered her whole. And then, the call to Subhi resounded around their small neighborhood. She woke with a beastly headache that thumped round her head, down to her neck which made her feel ill.

And she was grateful for the warm water she found by her bathroom door, which she took, made ablution and came to pray. By the time Barira had finished making breakfast for the whole house, as it is a weekend, Ruwaida had already prayed, and had the Quran in her palms as she slowly recited.

Barira put her head round the door and her face instantly lit up when Ruwaida smiled at her. "Good morning, you look better today," Barira commented with much zeal.

She placed down the tray on the floor and perched in the side of the bed, then picked both  Ruwaida's hands to hold it propped in both hers, making sure the Quran laid protectively on her laps. "Hope you're feeling better,"

"Yes...just a bit fragile on my limbs,"  Ruwaida admitted. She loved the knew attention she was receiving from Mama, which made her feel a curious sense of unfamiliarity.

Barira looked up at her sympathetically. "It'll go away soon God's willing," her eyes seemed to glaze with invisible tears as she stared at her daughter, and Ruwaida had for a second, thought of Mama seeing right through her. "Come on have your breakfast and take your medications, we'll also talk, later,"

Ruwaida gave Mama a suspicious smirk. "M...so what are we going to talk about! let's talk while we have breakfast together, please Mama,"

Mama erupted in a blissful laugh as she took up Barra from the bed and cradled her gently in her arms. "Let me arrange the kitchen first, don't be in a hurry to here the good news,"

Ruwaida only nodded and then dragged slowly, the tray to herself. Mama with a lump-sided smile, closed the door behind her and almost too sudden, took in a sharp breath, her hand reaching for her bosom. She had been nervous beyond measures, and now, contemplating on how to even begin explaining to her sensitive daughter about a marriage proposal, from a certain doctor she knows, wouldn't be news she'll take lightly.

Deciding not to delay further, she turned again and pushed the door open. Even if she'd decided to do the chores and then later discuss with Ruwaida, anxiety and apprehension wouldn't let her. Not when she knew not to expect a simple YES' from her, and then all of the sudden her first daughter's getting married.

So absurd that is!

She cleared her throat as she stared amusingly at Ruwaida, who immediately placed down the cup of water and then, slightly inched her head forward to take in the nice aroma of the onion soup. "Mama, this is the best soup you've made in months," Ruwaida took a spoon full. "Are you sure you haven't added any secret recipe to this," Barira smiled and then sat her self down on the carpeted floor after placing Barra on the bed.

Of course! Her happiness knew no bounds that it had flowed from her heart and down into the silver pot as she cooked. She released a light laugh, folding her legs into a more comfortable sitting posture. "No...I'm sure it's just you finding it more tasty," she replied with a small smile. "Come sit beside me,"

Hearing Mama talk that way, she blindly took the polyethene which had her drugs with her and made her way to her mother. Barira draped her hand over her daughter's shoulder and dragged her closer, wondering why Ruwaida had suddenly tensed. "Mama, are you sure everything's fine," her voice slowly cracked, and to hide her nervousness, she reached for the cup of water and hastily gulped down the pills.