I'd Rather Be With You

It's quiet when I open the door.

And dark.

I go to flick on the lights, but they don't work. "Damn it, they already cut the power," I mutter as I push the door in. It makes a loud creak, and I flatten my ears as I motion Ryan to come in.

Even though it's dark, there's still a bit of light that shines through the windows and the front door to show how the house is laid out. There's unpacked boxes all over the place, because I never really unpacked in the first place. There's not much to really say about it, other than the fact that I hate it here.

"Kinda stuffy in here," Ryan coughs as I goes to sit down on a chair. "It's a kinda depressing home, in all fairness." I whack his arm, and he replies with an "oi."

"I... this was the first thing I could find that was far away from home and in the city, so... yeah." My eyes scan over the rather run down bits of the house, trying to remember where I last saw my phone. "It's not that great..."

Ryan sweeps his finger over a shelf, and inspects the dust that's built up on it. "You didn't clean at all lately, did you?"

"No." My phone's not in here. Maybe it's in my room. I keep talking as I walk around, slowly reminding myself of the layout of this place. "I didn't do much for the month I was here. Just... laying down, listening to music... I just didn't really feel that great. Didn't help that I didn't have anyone else to talk to."

"I'd bet," Ryan comments, and he kneels down to look through a box of stuff. He holds up one picture in particular, one of a family of five smiling wolves on a bright summer day. "That's your family, huh?"

I nod my head. "Yeah," I say quietly.

"And that's you?" He asks, pointing to a very excited-looking wolf in the middle of the group.

"Heh... yep, that's me."

"You're really cute in this."

I feel a bit of heat flush my face, and I laugh a bit. "Yeah, I was around seven at the time. We were just coming back from this really cool picnic, and my mom thought it would be a great idea to get a picture of the family." My mind swirls from the memories of that day, and it makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. "It was a great time, being a kid. Our family was really cool. Until..."

Oh.

My mind reels itself back to the memory, and I start to feel the shakes again. It's like the blood decided to rush away from my legs, because a few seconds later I'm lying down on the floor.

"Mitchell! Are you okay?" I hear Ryan yell, and I feel a bit of shaking from my shoulders.

It takes me a moment to sit back up, and I take a deep breath. "I'm fine, just... whew, that was fun." Me and my sarcastic ass. I want to stand back up, but my legs still feel off-kilter.

"You... sure?"

"Mhmm," I pant, and I lay down in the floor for a bit. "I just kinda... had a moment..."

"I get it," Ryan says, lying down next to me. "My family gets me riled up too sometimes."

"Yeah, right," I scoff. "Your family probably didn't kick you out the house because of who you were like mine did." I roll over, like a pencil, towards my room in the hopes I can make it there faster.