Set-Up

When I wake up the next morning, there's an odd sense of calm that washes over me. I've woken up several times, obviously, but something feels different.

Ryan is snoring away behind me while his arms are wrapped around me, and the two of us are propped up on the cushions of our couch. The main menu of the movie we were watching last night plays over and over again, and the bleak near-winter morning sun dances across my face. The next door neighbor slams the door to his apartment, who's going on a business venture to the Bahamas this afternoon, and birds line the fire escape stairs outside the window.

Everything is the same, but there's another heavy emotion that's hanging in the room... and I can't tell what it is.

The arms around my waist tighten, and a hollowed moan breezes into my ear. "Mornin', Pup," Ryan breathes, and I shiver with anticipation.

I cuddle into his chest and murmur, "Hi."

"You're up a little bit earlier than usual," Ryan groans as he sits up, reaching over my waist to check his phone on the night table. "Huh."

"What?" I ask, giving him a quick kiss before rolling out of bed.

"Oh, it's nothing." Ryan puts his phone down, and gets up to get dressed. While he's putting on a pair of jeans and an athletic shirt, I meander into the bathroom.

"Hey, Ryan!" I call out, because I can talk in the bathroom as long as no one is taking a shit. "What's the plan for today?"

"Uh..." Ryan hesitates, and I hear him clamor around. "I... I was just kinda thinking we could just hang around in the mall today, I don't know..."

"Oh, that's fine," I say. I walk out of the bathroom (I took care of my business in a paragraph, thanks for noticing), and dive into my drawers. I pull out a jacket with an appealing athletic-feel, and I throw it on along with a black t-shirt.

"You know, I..." Ryan cuts himself off, and walks out of the room.

I want to follow him, but against my better instincts, I work on a pair of bleached jeans. Cursing myself as I almost fall over, I manage to catch myself before my face ends up on the floor.

"Ryan?" I call out, a little discombobulated from my tumble. "A little help, please~?"

I hear the patter of footsteps come into the room, and in an instant Ryan is on me. "Oh my God, Pup! Are... are you okay?"

"I mean, kinda?" I laugh in between breaths, and sit myself up on the floor. "I fell, so... that's fun."

Ryan's face finally grins, finally lightens up after acting so solemn since he's woken up. "That's good, I just... sorry, I got worried." Just like the amazing wolf he is, Ryan swoops in and picks me up off the ground, carrying me comfortably into the kitchen.

"Breakfast?"

"Hell yes," Ryan chuckles, and sits me down on one of the diner stools. "Don't worry your little butt about anything, I've got it covered."

"Oh, that's great, the food's in good hands." I go to grab some plates and silverware from the cabinets, but Ryan politely pushes me back into the chair.

"Nope, today's a relaxing day for you," he says, shushing my attempts at refusal. "I'm cooking, you just sit and wait."

And, of course, I stop arguing.

"If anything, my relaxation day was two days ago," I mutter. "Relaxing on my birthday, pshh."

"Aaaaaaand they're done!" Ryan exclaims, and magically makes two stacks of pancakes appear in front of me.