twelve ; the quidditch final

————————————

————————————

Aurora Areli

"WHAT?" I WHISPERED, NOT wanting to believe what she had just told us. "Hermione, you must've heard him wrong. There was so much to support Buckbeak — they can't just . . ."

"N-no, I didn't hear anything," Hermione said, holding out the letter. "He — he sent me this."

Harry took the damp piece of parchment, and when I leaned over to see what it said, I saw that enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was difficult to read.

Dear Hermione,
We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you and Rory gave us.
Hagrid

"They can't do this," Harry said. "They can't!"

"And Buckbeak isn't dangerous," I pointed out, feeling angry tears well in my eyes. "It was Malfoy's fault — he was being rude! He knew Hippogriffs are easily offended!"

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," Hermione said, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope . . . nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," Ron said fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work alone this time, Hermione, I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely; a terrified Ron patted her very awkwardly on the head. Harry and I glanced at each other, amused at the scene before us. Hermione eventually drew away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers . . ." she sobbed.

"Oh — well — he was old," Ron shrugged, looking thoroughly relieved that she let go of him. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."

"Took you long enough," I muttered.

. . . . .

Due to the recent safety measures imposed to protect us from Sirius Black, we couldn't go and visit Hagrid during the evenings. Our only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

"'S all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all the dates yeh two looked up fer me, Hermione an' Rory. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em."

"That can't be legal," I said, shaking my head.

"Probably not, but there's still the appeal!" Ron said fiercely. "Don't give up yet, Hagrid, we're working on it!"