twenty-nine ; much too much

————————————

————————————

Aurora Areli

DUMBLEDORE STOOD UP, STARING down at Barty Crouch with disgust on his face. Then, after a moment, he raised his wand once more and ropes flew out of it, twisting themselves around Crouch and binding him tightly.

Dumbledore turned to Professor McGonagall. "Minerva, could I ask you to stand guard while I take Harry upstairs?"

"Of course," Professor McGonagall said. She looked slightly nauseous, but when she drew out her wand and pointed it at Barty Crouch, her hand was quite steady.

"Severus," Dumbledore turned to Snape, "please tell Madam Pomfrey to come down here. We need to get Alastor Moody into the hospital wing. Then go down into the grounds, find Cornelius Fudge, and bring him up to this office. He will undoubtedly want to question Crouch himself. Tell him I will be in the hospital wing in half an hour's time if he needs me."

Snape nodded silently and swept out of the room.

"Castor," said Dumbledore, now addressing my father, "I believe now is a good time to take Aurora to the hospital wing. She has experienced a terrible loss tonight, and I'm sure her mother and brother would like to know that she is safe."

Before Harry or I could get a word in, Dad had already agreed.

"Let's go, Rory," he told me.

After a moment's hesitation, I nodded. I really didn't want to leave Harry alone, but it was no use trying to argue with Dad or Dumbledore. Instead, I looked at Harry and gave his hand one final squeeze before standing up to leave. My head started spinning when I got to my feet, and Dad, seeming to notice this, wrapped an arm around my shoulder in support.

Neither of us spoke on the way to the hospital wing. I was very grateful for that, because if I had tried to talk, I probably would have started crying again.

When Dad pushed open the hospital wing doors, we were immediately greeted by the sight of Mrs Weasley, Bill, Ron, Hermione, Mum and Atticus grouped together by one of the beds, looking extremely worried.

All of them whipped around as Dad and I entered. Mrs Weasley let out a kind of muffled scream, and Mum's shoulders sagged with relief before she walked over to meet us.

"Oh, Rory, are you all right?" she said, taking my face in her hands and checking for injuries. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine," I whispered, the lump in my throat making it difficult to form words.

"Oh, you poor dear," Mrs Weasley said, as she and Mum led me over to one of the beds.

"What happened back there?" Atticus asked. "Professor Snape was just here and —"

"Atticus," Dad said sharply, shaking his head. My brother promptly shut his mouth.

Everyone was hovering near my bed, still looking anxious. Mum and Mrs Weasley tried to get me to relax, but no matter what they did, I couldn't stop thinking about the past few hours. My head was pounding, and all I wanted was to close my eyes and have everything just be another nightmare. Thankfully, Dad took to explaining where Harry and Dumbledore were, so I wouldn't have to speak any more.