Startling News

Kageyama's POV

I was focusing on coordinating my tosses with Asahi when I heard Tsukishima mention something about Oshiro not having a soulmate. I didn't pay much attention to it, my mind more focused on the volleyball about to touch my hands. That was until I heard her reply, "Actually, I met my soulmate the first day I walked into this gym" and my heart stopped.

I didn't even register the ball touch my hands and fall to the floor because my mind was racing with thoughts unfamiliar to me. All I wanted to know was who shared her soulmarks. For some reason I hoped it was me as I glanced down at the ink on the inside of my forearm.

I looked up, my eyes becoming glued to Oshiro's figure on the ground. Her light brown hair tied-up, giving a clear view of her shocked expression. Yamaguchi's voice pulled me from my trance. "Wait...Oshiro-san, you know who your soulmate is, but you haven't told him?" Tsukishima began laughing, "Wow Oshiro-san, you must be really disappointed."

She closed her notebook and lifted her head, her expression darkening. She glared at Tsukishima and he stepped back. I felt a warmth in my chest I couldn't explain when she uttered, "On the contrary Tsukki-san, unlike you he impresses me every day." Tanaka and Nishinoya started to lose it, yelling and laughing loudly at her comment.

The next thing I knew the gym door had slammed open and someone I didn't recognize came charging in. The girl seemed to know Oshiro and they began to talk about moving instruments. Instruments of what, I have no idea. They began arguing if today was Wednesday. It reminded me that I had a Modern Literature test tomorrow I was hopelessly unprepared for.

Oshiro abruptly turned her attention away from the girl with a look of confusion, most of my teammates started nodding yes. I knew she was looking at everyone, but it felt like her eyes were on me. My heart hammered in my chest. Shouldn't it have slowed down by now?

I watched Oshiro scramble to shove her things into her bag and stand up. She turned to coach, "Sorry I have leave before practice ends," then ran towards the door. She didn't make it very far before Tsukishma said something that stunned everyone, including me. "I bet you $50 I can figure out who your soulmate is."

Oshiro and the girl that had run in earlier had stopped moving. Normally when something disrupted practice this long, I would feel annoyed and restless. However, I didn't feel anything except curiosity at this moment, wanting to know how Oshiro was going to respond to his challenge.

She suddenly spun around to face Tsukishima with a smile and crossed her arms. A mischievous glint in her eyes. "You're on Saltyshima, but you have to accept my stipulations or no deal." "Which are?" Tsukishima asked, putting his hand on his hip.

"You get three questions and one guess to figure it out. If I choose not to answer a question you ask me, the question doesn't count towards your three." She paused briefly. "The entire team can help you. However you started this bet, so if I lose you're the only one I'm paying." She responded then looked behind him and our eyes briefly locked. "Sorry guys I'm broke," she shrugged with her arms still crossed.

Tsukishima appeared to be thinking when Hinata suddenly shouted, "It's a deal Oshiro-chan." I immediately grabbed his head wanting him to shut up. This was one of the few times I truly wanted to listen to what the rude middle-blocker had to say. It also bothered me that he was able to address Oshiro with '-chan' and I wasn't; however, I would never admit it out loud.

"Ow Ow Ow Ow," Hinata complained while grabbing at my hand trying to pry it off his head. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tsukishima give a nod of approval and Oshiro sprint out of the gym with her friend. Now having my answer, I released Hinata. He immediately turned to me, anger evident.

"What was that for you jerk," Hinata shouted. "Tsukishima is the one who made the bet with Oshiro-san, so he's the one who decides to accept her requirements or not dumbass," I yelled back, clenching my fists.

Tanaka abruptly spoke, drawing attention to himself and distracting Hinata and I before a fight began. "Hey, can someone explain what just happened?" Tanaka asked. "Yeah, we think we blacked out or something and imagined something crazy," said Nishinoya. Sugawara turned his body to face them, "What do you mean?"

"Okay, we remember Oshrio-chan saying one of the guys on the team is her soulmate then she accepted some kind of dare from Tsukishima involving $50 then left," replied Nishinoya. Tanaka and Nishinoya then started laughing in disbelief. "Guys, that actually happened," Sugawara deadpanned. Tanaka and Nishinoya became as still as statues. Tsukishima started laughing at them, while Yamaguchi appeared to be struggling to process everything that just occurred.

"So, when Oshiro-san said she met her soulmate the first day she walked into the gym, tha-that includes me right?" Yamaguchi muttered. Hinata and I started laughing at Yamaguchi's question. Tsukishima looked at his friend unamused, "Yes, Yamaguchi the entire team was in the gym at that time." Yamaguchi visibly stiffened.

"I'm so excited to find out who her soulmate is!" Hinata exclaimed as he bounced up and down. "I wonder what her soulmarks are, since I've never seen them." I couldn't help but feel the same excitement and curiosity, but I also had another feeling mixed in that I didn't know how to describe.

I looked at Sugawara who was still trying to bring Tanaka and Nishinoya back to life. Daichi walked up behind him and put his hand on his shoulder. "Guys, I understand that you are all still processing the information we just found out, but save it for after practice."

I swiftly jogged to my place on the court to continue spike practice. My mind now focused on only one thing: volleyball.