Great You Broke Him

I had silver Beats on and my music on shuffle as I walked towards the gym for volleyball practice after school. Reflection by Fifth Harmony was blaring in my ears.

I turned off my music while pulling off my headphones as I walked up the steps and slide the door open. I looked around the gym and saw most of the guys were already here, setting up the gym. The few not setting up anything, were doing random warm-ups with the volleyballs. I headed over to the bench to grab the dozen water bottles so I could fill them.

I had put all the bottles in the two holders and began walking towards the entrance when Yamaguchi entered. I lost it. I started laughing and couldn't stop. My sudden outburst startled Yamaguchi and the players near me. Yamiguchi, Suga, Daichi, and Tanaka walked over to check on me.

"Are you okay Oshiro?" Suga asked, concern and confusion lacing his voice. "I'm fine. I promise," I replied between laughs, nearly dropping the water bottle holders in my hands. I was finally beginning to calm down when I looked at Yamaguchi again. Bad idea.

The guys gave each other confused glances, unable to figure out what I was laughing at. "Uh, what's so funny?" Daichi finally asked. I tried to explain, but only managed to get out a few words before my laughter interrupted me.

The bottle holders were now on the floor and I was bent over, my stomach beginning to hurt from my nonstop giggling. I simply raised my arm and waved my hand, signaling it wasn't important.

A few moments passed before I was able to stand up straight. I saw Yamaguchi and couldn't control myself. "I'm-I'm leaving. I can't be here." I leaned down to pick up the holders from the ground.

I was in the process of lifting myself from the ground when I heard Noya shout, "Look out Oshiro-san!" Out of the corner of my eye I saw a blur of color heading straight for me.

There was no time to react, so I simply braced for impact. I heard the slam of the volleyball, but felt no pain. I turned my head and saw Kageyama standing there with his back facing me.

"Nice save Kageyama," Ennoshita yelled. I heard a collective sigh from Yamgichi, Suga, Daichi, and Tanaka. I turned my head towards them and saw they had all begun to move to protect me before Kageyama beat them.

"Those were some impressive reflexes Kageyama." Daichi said as he placed his hand on the setter's shoulder. Kageyama only nodded before looking at me who was now kneeling on the floor. "Uh, thank you Kageyama-kun." I uttered looking up at him. I watched his cheeks flush a light pink. "N-no problem," he stuttered before heading onto the court.

His expression made my stomach flip and confused me at the same time. I decided to ignore it for now since still had water bottles to fill. I also needed to figure out how to stop laughing every time I saw Yamaguchi.

I walked to the water fountains that were on the side of the gym and began to take the water bottles out of their holders. Things had happened rather quickly inside and my heart was still unsettled. My mind drifted to Yamaguchi, causing me to laugh. I was mad at Asuna for putting that stupid thought in my head.

I was on my fourth bottle when Shimizu came out. "Hey, I wanted to make sure you're doing okay." Shimizu said as she grabbed a water bottle and began helping me. "I'm alright thanks to Kageyama," I grinned.

She remained silent for a few seconds before asking, "Do you mind telling me why you keep laughing?" "Uh, I mean I can, but I warn you it's pretty stupid," I chuckled. She only nodded in response.

"This morning I was walking to school with my best friend and she asked me why I always refer to Yamaguchi as 'Yams.' I told her it was just a nickname I had for him. She said she can only picture actual yams now whenever she hears his name. Thanks to her, every time I see Yamaguchi I picture actual yams and it has messed up my entire day." I finished after having to pause a few times to get control of my laughter.

Shimizu actually smiled at my silly reason for laughing so much. "That's actually pretty funny. I feel like I'll probably end up picturing yams when I see Yamaguchi now too," she said, laughing a little.

We finished filling the water bottles and headed back inside. We walked in and saw Yamaguchi stretching with the rest of the team, I started giggling and Shimizu grinned as we walked over to the bench.

Soon the team began practice. They were partnered up, one served and the other received. After a certain number of receives, they would switch. Hinata and Kageyama were paired up today, which was a combination I always found amusing.

They had been through a few rotations when Hinata randomly looked at me and was promptly hit in the face by a volleyball. I was feeling bewildered as I rushed over to him.

"I didn't know you were here today." Hinata groaned as he looked up at me, his hands on the sore spot. "Did you miss when I almost got nailed by a volleyball?" I asked with an eyebrow raised. "Gwah, what!" "Dude, how did you miss that?" Tanaka questioned.

I rolled my eyes as I knelt down next to Hinata. "Luckily your nose isn't bleeding. How bad is the pain?" "I have a nose?!" He mumbled waving a hand in front of his own face slowly.

His disorientation began to worry me. I looked over at Daichi and Suga, concern spreading across their features. "Hey Oshiro-Chan, is Kageyama your soulmate?" Hinata slurred.

I saw Kageyama freeze behind Daichi and Suga. I slowly turned my head back to Hinata, suppressing my sudden urge to run.

"Uhhhh, I'll be honest I can't tell if you even know what you're saying?" was all I could manage in response. He seemed offended by my response. "Ugggg, just answer the question Oshiro-Chan." "Um, Hinata it's just that you don't seem 100% here right now." Suga knelt next to Hinata, opposite me.

"What were we talking about?" Hinata mumbled, removing his hands from his head. "Yeah, you're done. Coach needs to check you." I deadpanned. "Hinata lets get you to the bench," Daichi said firmly helping him to his feet.

Coach Ukai checked him and thankfully didn't think Hinata had a concussion but was going to let his parents know and watch him the next few practices to be on the safe side. Coach forced Hinata to sit the rest of practice, not wanting to send him home alone.

Kageyama seemed off after the whole ordeal, but no one else seemed to notice.