Discovery

AN: So, I wrote the first half of this chapter like a month ago, hope it makes sense. I had planned to update sooner, but life got in the way. (〃-ー-)ノ Please enjoy. I'll try to update again soon.

===

The guys walked ahead of me into the crowded gymnasium. Rival teams commented on Karasuno's well-known players and the goddess that is Shimizu Kiyoko. I walked between her and Takeda Sensei. The weight on my shoulders had lessened thanks to Kageyama stealing the duffel and stepping off the bus before I could protest. I wasn't used to others carrying stuff for me. Welcome to percussion.

"This gymnasium is huge! It feels so real, I can even smell the Air Salonpas," Hinata said happily. "What are you going on about?" Kageyama asked puzzled. "Air Salonpas makes the tournament real doesn't it?" Hinata responded as he turned his head to look at Kageyama.

The players had stopped, but Takeda Sensei, Shimizu, and I kept walking. "Hinata-kun, are you sure you're cleared to play? Nothing you've said so far is making a solid case." I teased, giggling as I walked past. "Eh! Leave me alone Oshiro-chan, I'm fine!" he shouted from behind me.

Shimizu and I walked to the sidelines of the spacious court, placing our bags by the metal bench. The cold air shocked any remaining sleepiness from my system as I took in my surroundings.

Two volleyball courts were drawn side by side. The white nets with a red and white stripped pole on each end, marking the boundary line, had been strung up. Overflowing ball pits sat at each end of the courts.

Looking up I could see numerous spectators and a variety of jerseys. It was more nerve-racking to be watched from above rather than below. This was an entirely different type of stage and performance. I pulled my jacket tighter around me in a faint attempt to comfort myself.

Karasuno jerseys finally emerged from the entrance. Some of the players looked a bit shaken, especially Asahi. I wondered if something happened or if it was just nerves.

I was brought out of my thoughts by the thud of a duffel bag hitting the floor next to me. I jumped slightly, my head snapping in the direction of the sound. Kageyama was standing a foot away staring at me. His face was blank, yet his eyes were soft. I felt the thumping of my heart grow rapid at his closeness.

"Oh, uh thank you, Kageyama-san," I said uncertainly. I silently prayed the pounding in my chest didn't reach his ears. As soon as I spoke, his head snapped back slightly and he seemed a little panicked. He averted his eyes and gave a small nod, lingering a moment longer before heading onto the court for warm-ups.

I watched him walk away, feeling bewildered by his actions. I let out a deep sigh as I picked up the bag and placed it on the bench. I unzipped it and began pulling the bottles and towels out. Hinata suddenly shout, "You just did the 'zawoosh' thing again." "What the hell is 'zawoosh,' dumbass!" Kageyama yelled. Their usual bickering starting again.

"Yoo-hoo, Tobio-chan and Chibi-chan. Having fun with your freak combination?" A voice I was unfamiliar with mocked as it cut through their fighting. I turned my attention to the owner of the voice, already feeling irritated by it. Above Kageyama and Hinata stood two players from Aoba Johsai. I recognized Iwaizumi from middle school, but I couldn't place the man standing next to him.

The guy shifted his gaze from Kageyama and Hinata to me. "Iwa-chan, they got another manager," he stated in surprise. He leaned on the railing and flashed a peace sign as he shouted down at me, "Hey pretty brunette, why don't you ditch them and join my team? I promise I'll be more entertaining to watch than my genius kouhai." Iwaizumu slapped his teammate's hand before angrily saying, "Leave Oshiro alone, Shittykawa."

I tried to choke down my laughter as "Shittykawa" began to whine that his hand hurt. I managed to convey my thanks to Iwaizumi before returning to my previous task. Tanaka and Noya started circling me and Shimizu, who stood beside me, growling up at "Shittykawa." I was too startled to stop them, but Shimizu whacked them on the head with our clipboards. This seemed to make the two really happy, which I found slightly disturbing.

"Wait Iwa-chan, how do you know her?" the Aoba Johsai player exclaimed. He switched his attention to me once again, "Hey Oshiro-chan, did you go to Kitagawa Daiichi?" "Uggg, your friend is annoying, Iwaizumi-kun." I groaned, as I exited the court with the unfilled water bottles.

I walked to the drinking fountain near the restrooms and set the two bottle carriers down. I unscrewed the lids and began to fill each container. Two waters had already been filled before realization finally hit me. My hand continued to press the bar of the drinking fountain causing the current bottle to overflow. My eyes, however, were focused down the hallway I had just come from as I muttered to myself, "Wait, did he say genius kouhai?"

===

My foot had just passed the threshold of the door to reenter the court when Sugawara and Yamaguchi swarmed me. "Kageyama!" they exclaimed in unison. I blinked at them owlishly before responding, "No, Oshiro."

Suga responded exasperated, "No, what we meant was-." "Did you guys need something?" Kageyama interrupted, now standing behind them and sounding as confused as I felt. Suga's and Yamaguchi's eyes grew wide as they stared at me.

Suga laughed nervously as he turned toward Kageyama. Daichi abruptly clapped Kageyama on the shoulder and told them to get ready to line up. His aura was intimidating and I wondered what they had done to make him so angry all of the sudden. Before they walked away Daichi gave me a quick thumbs-up, leaving me in a greater state of confusion.

I shook my head to chase away the thoughts before hurriedly setting the waters down on the bench. I slung my bag over my shoulders and grabbed my clipboard as I wished the team good luck and jogged off the court.

I almost slipped a few times as I scrambled up the stairs to the stands, not wanting to miss a single second of the game. I slammed into the railing because of my speed, but I didn't notice the dull pain due to my excitement.

I gazed down at the two teams getting into position on the court. I could see both sides of their court evenly, my view showing how thin the net truly was. Shimizu was below me on the bench with her clipboard ready. Coach Ukai was next to her and Sensei Takeda was on the other side of him. They looked very calm as the whistle blew and Karusuno's first match of the tournament began.