Popsicles and Permission

Asuna, Tachibana, and I decided to go to Sakanoshita Store to grab food after practice. The sun was setting as we walked closer to the brightly lit store.

Asuna was still rambling as we walked through the door, "Did you know you can estimate a horse's age by how worn down their teeth are?" "No, why would I know that?" Tachi groaned as he threw out his arms with his palms facing up. "Do you stick your head in their mouth to check?" I asked excitedly. Asuna looked at me like she just lost all faith in humanity, while Tachi was horrified.

Asuna didn't answer, instead dashing ahead of us to the GariGari-Kun popsicles. Tachibana and I rushed after her to grab our favorite flavors. Ukai was reading a newspaper with his feet on the counter and a cigarette in his mouth as the three of us walked up to purchase our frozen treats.

"Hi Coach," I greeted. He looked up from his paper, body jolting in surprise. "Oh, hi Oshiro. Sorry, I didn't realize you guys were there." Ukai removed his feet from the counter so we could set our items down. Tachibana and I flanked Asuna, who begrudgingly got out her wallet and paid.

I shoved my popsicle in Asuna's hands and told them to wait for me outside. "Coach, do you have a minute? There's something I need to talk to you about." He blew a puff of smoke out of his mouth, "sure, what do you need."

I began to fidget with the lanyard hanging around my neck. "After the Interscholastic Tournament is over, I'm not going to be able to come to club very often for a few weeks. The band is getting new percussionists and I'm the section leader, so I have to train them. I also have a competition during that time. I'm sorry." I reported, my hands never pausing.

"It's alright Oshiro. You have a responsibility and you can't neglect it. You'll be missed at club, but the guys will manage." Ukai sighed as he knocked ash off his cigarette. My face relaxed into a small smile upon hearing his words. "Say Oshiro, how do you juggle volleyball and band practices?" he questioned.

I gazed down to the black cover on my arm. I stayed silent as I pondered how to respond to Coach Ukai's question.

Without warning, a strange sensation surged through me. It was like my entire body was being torn. My attention briefly shifted to the darkened atmosphere outside, but I didn't see anything. I looked back down at my soulmark cover before peeling it off and holding my arm out.

"When you have both pictured on your arm, you find a way."

Ukai's eyes widened and his eyebrows raised. A few silent seconds passed before he grinned, "That's a good answer. Now get out of here, it's late." "Yes, sir," I responded as I shoved the door open.

I walked out to find Asuna bombarding Tachi with random horse facts. The poor guy looked like he wanted to die. They hadn't noticed my presence yet, so I decided to make some noise.

"~ Let's get down to business, to defeat the Huns
Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?
You're the saddest bunch I ever met
But you can bet before we're through
Mister, I'll make a man out of you.~"

I sang loudly while swinging my keys around. Asuna started laughing at my stupidity and Tachibana had a blank expression. "Why must your song target me Oshiro-chan," he complained in a serious tone. This caused Asuna and I to laugh as we continued to mess with him on our walk home.

"Oh yeah! Here's your popsicle." Asuna said as she shoved the half-melted popsicle into my hands. "Thanks for holding this and waiting." "No problem," they both replied.

===

Kageyama's POV

I wonder if I over practiced. I probably should've stopped sooner. If I overwork myself, they won't let me practice or start next week. That was stupid.

I groaned in frustration. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I stepped out of the club room. "When did it get dark?" I mumbled to myself as I began my trek home.

I was planning to leave sooner, but I couldn't get Oshiro off my mind. Why do I feel like I need to be near her when I see her and like I can't breathe when she's gone? Dammit! I thought I could work through this with volleyball. It's only distracting me more now.

I want food. Meat buns. Yeah, meat buns will help. Also milk. Maybe I'm going through milk withdrawals and that's why I've been feeling so weird.

I was mid-step when I was hit by a strange sensation. It was like my entire body was being pulled down the hill, but I couldn't move. 

I shook my head forcefully before continuing. I heard faint singing as I grew closer to Coach Ukai's store. However, once the well-lit shop came into view, all that greeted me was an empty street. I paused in front of the vending machine to buy milk before pushing the door open.

"Huh, Kageyama what are you doing here!" Ukai yelled upon seeing me. "I just finished practicing and want food."

Ukai snuffed out his cigarette as I set the curry buns on the counter. "HUH!" coach loudly exclaimed. I flinched back in surprise and started looking around me.

"Man, she sure is a sly one," he muttered to himself. He stood up and started whacking my shoulder, "Haha, good luck Kageyama." "What are you talking about?" "I'm sure you'll find out soon enough."