Chapter 5

After giving birth in October, Louise no longer had the energy to host dinners and Athénaïs did her best to avoid her. And with Athénaïs's husband back at court, the idea of seducing the king and facing Louise's misery no longer sounded appealing. She had enough misery of her own. Her husband's growing debts and their arguments about paying them kept her occupied. Unless she found a way to break free of him she could never be the king's mistress.

Athénaïs stared at her reflection in her toilette mirror. The blotchy dark bruise along her jaw was harsh against her creamy skin. It stung too. She flinched as she brushed her face cream over the bruise.

"My lady, are you all right?" Sophie dropped the dress in her arms onto the sofa.

"I'm fine, but no matter what I try I can't seem to cover this bruise up. It makes my skin look hideous."

Sophie inspected the bruise. "I don't think you can hide it. What happened?"

She sighed. "My husband didn't like the attention the king paid me after supper yesterday. My husband pays me little notice until another man does. Then he gets jealous." If this is how he reacted to her receiving attention from the king, she couldn't imagine how he'd react to her becoming mistress. Times like this made her wonder how life would be if her first fiancé hadn't been stupid enough to take place in that damned duel.

The king had outlawed dueling, but it didn't stop her fiancé the Marquis de Noirmountiers from agreeing to one after a quarrel. His mind had been clouded from wine from Monsieur's ball. One man was killed and the survivors faced the king's wrath, including Noirmountiers, and fled the country before they could be executed for their law breaking. And so next came Marquis de Montespan, the brother of the man who died from the duel. Together they grieved their losses and who she at first thought to be a great man, turned out to be a scoundrel. If only she'd found out before agreeing to marry him.

Funny how most husbands of mistresses were more than happy to accept whatever rewards the king gave them to stay out of the way. The Marquis was too driven by jealousy. He'd rather have her under his thumb than to give her up to the king and have his debts cleared in return.

She stood up and gave her face paint one last check. The bruise showed through, but it'd have to do. If she stayed away from the lights, maybe no one would notice.

The laughter and excitement in the king's rooms did nothing to lift her spirits. Most days she found the dancing and joking infectious, but tonight her mind kept wandering back to the sting of her husband's palm. Despite his jealousy, he didn't hesitate to leave her side. She spotted him dancing with Madame de Sévigné. Unlike the king his dancing was clumsy as though he'd already drunk too much wine. His face wasn't as smooth as the king's either. He already sported the beginnings of lines from hard nights drinking too much and running from creditors. Madame de Sévigné's blank stare spoke to the Marquis's lack of grace.

Athénaïs spotted Louise standing alone in the corner and pretended to not notice her even when Louise gave her a small wave. Louise started in her direction and Athénaïs turned to head deeper into the room. Louise had already proven to be a poor avenue for getting favor with the king and she didn't know how much more she could listen to her mournful laments.

"Athénaïs." Louise's soft voice made her tense.

"How is little Marie-Anne?" Athénaïs asked, her voice terse.

Louise smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Fine. She's being looked after well. I rest easy knowing she is in good hands with Monsieur Colbert's family. The doctor said she couldn't be in better health." She had already lost two children and with her rough pregnancy, a healthy child was a gift. Her gazed flickered to the king who was busy playing cards. From the cabinet members stationed at the table, it was likely they were discussing politics. The queen was nowhere in sight, not unusual. Oftentimes she preferred to stay in her rooms and pray.