Chapter 28

July 1676

St. Germain

"You look beautiful, don't worry," Gabrielle whispered, giving her sister's hand a squeeze. "If the king doesn't fall under your spell tonight then he's a lost cause. Go show him what he's been missing."

Athénaïs swallowed and wiped her sweaty palms on her dress. She imagined the king giving her a cool glance as she curtseyed to him. He'd turn away from her with a frown. After so long apart, she didn't know how to anticipate his actions anymore.

She stepped up to the door and glided into the salon as her name was announced. Curious faces turned to stare at her, looking her over from head to toe. Whispers rippled through the room. This was the moment the court couldn't wait for. How would the king react to his mistress? Would he take her back or stay on his new path of righteousness? She took a deep breath to calm her nerves as she searched the crowd for the king.

Then the crowd parted as the king barreled through the courtiers toward her, his smile alight with joy. Shocked at seeing him break etiquette by running of all things, she stopped to stare. The rest of the crowd gawked at him. This wasn't the reaction she feared. The disinterest and annoyance she imagined so many times was nowhere to be seen. Instead he looked like a little boy on Christmas morning running for his gifts.

He jerked to a stop in front of her. His arms reached for her then froze before he forced them back to his sides. "Athénaïs." Her name came out as a breathy whisper.

"Sire." She gave him a low curtsy and his gaze caught on her low cleavage. "I'm glad to see you back from the war and in good health. I hear you brought us another victory."

"I've missed you." Before he could say more Bossuet appeared at his side followed by Maintenon.

"Your Majesty, your brother is looking for you," Bossuet said, alarm in his voice. "Don't forget your promise of purity. You can be friends only."

Maintenon weaseled her way between the king and Athénaïs. "I'll chaperone tomorrow," Maintenon volunteered. "For the trip to Versailles. I'll make sure he keeps his promise and that someone doesn't tempt him." She scowled at Athénaïs.

The king's smile twisted into a frown and he stared at Athénaïs, his gaze boring into hers. She held her breath in anticipation, knowing how much he hated being told what to do. "I will visit Clagny tomorrow. It's been far too long."

Maintenon eyes bulged, her face reddening in anger. It was all the proof Athénaïs needed to know she wanted the king for herself. Power had crept beneath the pious woman's skin and she wouldn't be the last to fall to the siren call.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Bossuet said as the crowd pressed in closer, trying to hear every word. Around them the salon was quiet, as though everyone held their breath to see what would happen next.

"I am the king. I make the decisions, not you." The king gave Bossuet the very same cool look Athénaïs had imagined herself receiving. "I will be visiting Madame Montespan at Clagny tomorrow and that is final." A high pitched giggle came from the crowd.

"I look forward to your visit," Athénaïs said. "You are always welcome at Clagny. I have missed you." Her voice cracked, giving away her pain. She clasped her hands together to keep herself from reaching out to him.

The king's gaze softened. "You need not miss me any longer, madame."

"You brother is looking for you, Your Majesty." Bossuet pulled him from Athénaïs and Gabrielle stepped out of the crowd to shoo Maintenon away. She took her sister by the arm and steered her away from the onlookers.