Chapter 17

Athénaïs held back a sigh when she spotted Lauzun standing in her antechamber. "What is it this time?" The birth of her son, Louis-Auguste, had brought joy back into her life after Madame's death, but court life never stopped on account of death or new life.

He took a seat without an invitation. "I came for a favor." He raised a hand to stop her from protesting. "I think I am allowed to ask you for one this time." He lowered his voice. "First I'd like to remind you I smuggled your babe out beneath my coat and I know you wouldn't want your husband to find out about him. And I helped you secure your niece's marriage. All I need from you is to put in a word with the king about my own marriage. I think I've earned that much." She had given birth to their second child without Louis at her side. She hadn't been able to leave St. Germain in time to give birth elsewhere. The king had ordered Lauzun to take the child to the waiting carriage. He did so without question.

"Marriage?" her mouth flopped open in surprise. "What marriage?" She thought she'd never see the day he married. He was too much a womanizer to settle on any one woman.

He accepted a glass of wine from Sophie with a smile. When she turned to walk away, he reached out to pinch her behind with boyish glee.

Athénaïs cleared her throat. "Behave yourself."

He gave a shrug of apology. "Mademoiselle de Montpensier wants to marry me and I would like to accept, but I hear talk the king is considering revoking the permission he gave me."

"Montpensier? She is older than you. I thought you liked your women young and beautiful." She took a seat as well and sipped at her tea. His mention of her son made her wonder how he was doing. The wet nurse claimed he was eating well, but Athénaïs hadn't gotten to see him since the birth. She feared leading any spies to him and didn't want to risk his safety. The king promised to eventually set him up somewhere where she would be able to visit without worry.

"It's true she isn't to my tastes physically. However, if I marry her I become Duc de Montpensier and her wealth becomes mine."

"And you would become a first cousin to the king," Athénaïs added. "But you're a commoner. You've come far from being a mere soldier, but commoners don't marry into the royal family."

"Which is why I need your influence with the king."

She couldn't say no, or he'd tell the whole court about her baby boy. Then her husband would come flying back to steal him away. Losing another child to him was unfathomable. She already feared she would never see their children again. She let out a growl of frustration and slapped a hand down on the armrest. "Fine. I will speak to him, but I can't make you any promises."

"A good word is all I need. Help me secure my marriage and I'll be in your debt."

"I'll visit the king in an hour. I'll bring up your marriage then."

"Thank you." He downed his glass and climbed to his feet to leave. "I hope to hear the king's decision soon." Lauzun didn't know where the king sent the child, and that gave her peace of mind. If he did open his mouth, the king would have time to find their son a new home. Once the court agreed to her separation, she would beg the king to recognize the children as he had with Louise's.

While the successful birth had given her occasion to celebrate after the gloom hanging over the court, a new marriage was already being planned for Monsieur. The royal bloodline needed children and hers only made the king hunger for legitimate children. Lauzun's marriage was no trifling matter and the distraction of finding his brother a new wife wouldn't be enough for the king to let it slide. To allow a commoner to marry into the royal bloodline would set a precedent most of the court wouldn't like. Of anyone at court who might receive the honor, she didn't picture it being Lauzun. He had too many enemies at court and fewer friends. His favor with the king wouldn't be high enough no matter how much Montpensier begged.