Chapter 12

Athénaïs paced her room as she ran her fingers through her hair. How could everything go south so fast? And only two days after the party at that. She'd done everything she could to prevent a pregnancy, including using sponges dipped in vinegar to block the king's seed. The king was spontaneous in his affections and appearances in her room. Had she forgotten to account for one of their times together? And where was her sister? She agreed to be here fifteen minutes ago. Louise had gone to the chapel to pray, giving Athénaïs a chance at privacy without her listening in.

Dozens of frozen eyes watched her from the paintings on her walls. To help weasel her way into the heart of court, she'd begun supporting a few artists of her choosing from painters to poets and playwrights. Molière was an obvious choice since the king was already fond of his poems and plays. And then there was the poet Jean de La Fontaine whose Fables she adored. The painters she employed helped decorate her walls and endear her to the king. It also kept the important players at court visiting her rooms to see the latest piece while Louise spent her time at the chapel or alone. Louise didn't understand how to play court politics to her advantage. While she failed to curry supporters, Athénaïs charmed the king's favorites.

The main door to the rooms shut with a thunk and Athénaïs perked up. "Gabrielle, you're late."

"Sorry, I got held up on my way here. What's wrong?" She eyed up Athénaïs with a frown. "You look a mess. Has your maid taken care of your hair today?" She reached out to rearrange the wild curls. "There, much better."

"I'm pregnant." She squeezed the fabric of her dress in her hands.

Gabrielle's eyes widened and her mouth hung open.

"It's the king's child, not Montespan's. Due to my marriage neither of us can recognize the child publicly as ours. If my husband finds out he could claim the child as his. Then I might never see it again. He's going to find out I'm the king's lover. I'll be ruined!" She flung herself onto the armchair and threw her hands over her stomach. "I need to hide this."

Gabrielle clasped her hands together, keeping a calm air despite her sister's theatrics. "All you need to do is get the king to step in. It's a simple as that."

Athénaïs groaned. "He always says he can't do anything. And if this becomes a big mess he might not want me anymore. If my husband finds out and drags me away, the king might not save me. I can't put all my faith in him. You told me to not get too deep into this relationship with my heart, and while I can't stop that, I won't blindly trust the king to look after me. He hates when he sees weakness in others. I won't beg him for help."

Gabrielle raised an eyebrow and rested a hand on her hip. "Then how do you propose we hide your pregnancy without leaving court and taking you away from the king?"

"I don't know. I'll have dresses made to hide my stomach as much as possible. If I can hide it well enough and deny it, no one will be sure." She ran a hand over the small bump of her stomach.

"And the babe when it comes? How do you plan to hide it from your husband? You'll need the king's help to keep it away from Montespan. Make sure Louise doesn't give up the secret."

Athénaïs froze. "Louise." Her head jerked up. "What if we had her pass the babe off as hers? If the king ordered it she would follow his command to please him. My husband doesn't need to know about it and everyone will believe Louise gave the king another baby."

"I don't think it will work. It will be too obvious she wasn't pregnant, but I'll go find a seamstress. That much I know we can do without the king's help." Gabrielle snapped her fingers. "You could start a new trend. The court is catching onto the king's affections and they are watching you. Louise does nothing to drive fashion around court, but if you wore a new dress the court would hesitate to criticize you lest the king get wind of it." She smiled, pleased with her idea. "I'm sure the king will come around in time."