Chapter 27

Gabrielle brushed Athénaïs's hair out of her face. "It's time for you to get out of bed," she ordered. "You've spent two days doing nothing but crying, chewing on your pillows, and sleeping. If you want to get the king back it's time to plan and put on a brave face for the court. Word has already started to spread that you and the king have broken off the affair. The women are swarming him already."

Athénaïs buried her face in her pillow. After all the crying she'd done, her eyes hurt whenever she blinked. Her pillows were damp from her chewing on them to bite down her sobs. She'd expected to have more time at the king's side and to not be tossed aside like some maid and it hurt more than she imagined. She curled in on herself at the thought of leaving the safety of her bed to face the gossips and king.

"What's the use? Even if I get him back this is the beginning of the end at the very least." Her words came out muffled. "I don't have enough influence over him to keep him from giving me up to please the priests. Maintenon has her claws in him too deeply and she will keep sinking them in. He is slipping through my fingers and I don't think I can stop it." Would she convince him to force Athénaïs to leave, to give up their children? Without their father's backing there would be no rich husbands waiting for her daughters and her sons could be barred from positions at court. As she sank so too did her children's futures.

"You are being too pessimistic. Come on, up." Gabrielle lightly tapped the side of her sister's head. "The maids have a fresh outfit ready. Get dressed and I'll meet you in the salon."

By the time Athénaïs was dressed and prepared for the day, she steeled her resolve in facing the world gracefully. She didn't want to be like Louise who hung around long past her time and became the joke of court. No, she would be beautiful, witty, and best of all, look happy. She would be the woman the king fell in love with. She could fall apart in private, but not in public.

Gabrielle straightened up and faced her. "You need purpose again. Sitting around and wallowing does you no good. You can't stay mistress by wallowing. Now take a deep breath."

Athénaïs followed her sister's orders.

"Let it out and with it let go of your desire to cry. It's time for action. Take a minute to prepare yourself. You need to be ready to throw yourself back into winning him over."

Athénaïs closed her eyes for several heartbeats before opening them again. "Did you find out anything on Bossuet," she asked as she settled into a chair beside her sister.

Gabrielle handed her a cup of champagne. "No. Looks like we won't be able to blackmail or intimidate him. I've had several people confirm he has a close friendship with Maintenon. Whatever this plot was about, they are likely working together."

Athénaïs let out a low, bitter laugh. "To think I thought she was a safe choice because the king wouldn't be interested in her. She is eager to make him hers I bet. Every woman wants him."

"We'll have to wait and have patience. I'm sure once the king sees you he'll come crawling back, but first we need to wait for the opportunity to get you in front of him. Madame de Richelieu promised to visit. She isn't a big fan of Maintenon and knows having her in power as mistress will get her nothing. She is still a loyal friend."

Athénaïs sipped at the drink. The tea came as a relief to her cracked lips and dry throat. "What is she going to do?"

"Convince the king you're a reformed sinner so he'll let you visit him. We can use your children to get you in front of him if need be. The queen wants to come see you. She plans to take you on a visit to some convent." She held up a hand as Athénaïs opened her mouth to protest. "Yes I know it's her way of hinting you should join one, but go with her. It will help sell the image of you being a reformed sinner. The priests will have a harder time coming up with excuses in why the king can't see you. We need to play this carefully and with patience. No rushing. Once we have you back at the king's side, we need to focus on weakening Maintenon's hold. Remember, the queen isn't very clever. Use her tricks against her." Gabriel was better at scheming these days. But it wasn't her heart that was breaking and clouding her thoughts.