Chapter 1

Eleanor's POV

I sat by the large window in my bedroom,watching the rain trickling down silently from the sky,onto the ground. It was a cold,rainy day.
And I could smell the petrichor.

A small knock on my door broke me from my reverie, and I rose from my seat to open it.
There she stood... my sister Andrea, right before of me with a sad face.

"Is something the matter?" I questioned softly, inhailing sharply.

"They're waiting for you downstairs Eleanor." She mumbled,with eyes glistening.

Unbelievable.
A heavy sigh left my lips. Why did my parents have to force me into this? Why did I have to be forced into a loveless marriage?
Because marriage is a social act?
And they considered it their duty to have me marry someone. A man whom I don't know. Whom I have never even seen before.
It's absurd.
But that's not all.
Let me get started on this...

My parents have been friends for years with the lovely rich couple that goes by the names of Mr Patrick and Mrs Sandra James. They found out recently that Mr James is retiring and is on the look out for a young lady to marry his son. Afer Patrick and Sandra heard so much about me, that's when they thought it would be a great idea to have me marry their son.
Accordingly, Mom and Dad felt they needed to protect me and Andrea by having us married.
Andrea is a only a year younger than me, but my parents would most probably force her to marry some guy that she'd never fall in love with either.

Besides,Mom said we really need the money and she entrust me to a husband and inlaws whom she trusts. She promised me she'll make sure that they'll treat me properly and not treat me as an outsider... As long as I agree to the marriage.
I had no choice.

In order for Mr James son to take over the company of James Inc, he's got to have a wife.
And it's stated in the Will.
But I really don't see why it's necessary to be married, just for the job.

Mother stepped into my room, glaring at me.
"Eleanor,you will have to come downstairs and meet your in law's. Don't be disrespectful." She commanded. "And don't shy away now."

I swallowed and fiddled with the hem of my long dress nervously,hesitated to listen, but decided against the thought, and followed her downstairs anyway. My eyes glued to my feet the whole time. Once I reached the bottom of the staircase, I could feel everyone in the room watching me. Silently.

"Hello Eleanor." A woman's voice sounded unfamiliar. I glanced up to her,and she danced a reassuring smile.
Wow. She was beautiful, with long raven hair and a great face structure. Suddenly I'm curious.
How old is she?

"It's so great to finally meet you sweety."

"Uhm, you too Mrs James. Mr James..." I said nervously,blinking at the both of them.

She points to the man in the grey suit standing next to her."This is my husband. His name is..."

"I already know." I cut her off, my words came out gently.

Another smile. "You're a very pretty girl." She compliments, making me smile shyly. I tried my hardest not to blush.

"Is she now?" Father snickered, clearing his throat. Then shot me a blunt look.

"Of course she is. Miss goody two shoes." Patrick chimed in,gave me a wink. "Our boy won't be able to take his eyes off Eleanor once he sees her. Like they say...It would be love at first sight." And then he chuckled. "Unfortunately our son could not be here with us today,he had some business to take care of."

"Sweety, your parents told us so much about you. I've seen pictures too. And I think you're perfect for him. He needs a good woman like you who can love him. A good woman to make his life easier."