Ch. 11: Cliff

This morning, all the group that had split up at the cross roads had gathered up on a cliff.
Looking over the area, you see nothing but trees nested in between the two cliffs.
Erwin stands up onto one of the taller rocks said, " Good morning everyone."
The whole group replies,"Morning, Commander" with their fist on top of their heart, while the other arm rest behind their backs. All geared up in their 3D Manuver gear.
"Today will be a little different. We will start a survival training session that might take two or three days, depending on how long it would take you to finish your objectives."
People were turning their heads looking toward each other in confusion.
" Who has never gone on an exploration before?" He asks, a few hands raised including yours.
"Great, then you'll be the first to go"
The others watched into awe. As He pull you by the wrist.
"Wait, what?" You question in surprise. Commander Erwin personally strapped you onto the glide that was hanging from your end of the cliff to the one across. And with one powerful shove, you zipped over. Without any support on the other side you feel yourself being pulled backward by the momentum.
Your heel and the shoal of your boot scrap against the dirt floor. Creating dust of clouds until you're hanging once again in mid air.
You try to get a grip on the gliding line for any feeling of security, but the line was too thin for any support. Just then, the silver bracelet Commander Erwin had clasped on your wrist buzzes. A small round green light was flashing on it, when the belt of the glider came loose.
Free falling straight down toward the trees beneath. Your body bounce back just a little as your face hover about a feet above the dirt ground. You were left hanging just by a rope.
Up above, Commander Erwin takes out a folding small dagger from his breast pocket. Unfolds it, and flings it confidently across the cliff. Everyone was dumbfounded by his action, as the dagger he threw cut the rope that was holding you above ground.
" Now then" Commander Erwin clears his throat " your mission today is to survive and find that one lost comrade of yours that just drop down this cliff." He said it in such a serious calm tone, as if he hadn't just cut the rope. "The group that finds her, will be rewarded."
There was a slight commotion as the cadets begin to speak among themselves.
One of the cadets raise their hand timidly, "what if...what if we can't find her?"
He looks among the Cadets and Corporals faces, before finding Levi staring at him with a deadpan face. Not looking pleased by what he had just seen. Commander Erwin gaze back just as seriously and speaks, " this is part of the training. Training for you to think about the what if's. The trees here are bendy the walls of earth may be soft. Strategize your way through if you ever encounter a titan. When you find Cadet ____, make sure to gather at the "X" mark on the map, that we will be handing out to you all right now" He looks upon the uneasy expression among the cadets faces, "if you ever need any assists on a titan, be sure to fire the flares. You know the drill." Commander Erwin steps off the rock, getting ready to get on his horse.
Followed by Corporal Hange announcing 4 cadets to 1 Corporol.
"Why her?" Levi ask, as the horse he sat on stands parallel to Erwin's. Both of them looking ahead.
" You know that nothing good comes out of it when you become a significance in someone else's life." At that Erwin gathered his small group and left.
"What now.." You mutter to yourself, as you watch a small black ant crawl across your field of vision.
With your ear pressed against the dirt ground, you listen carefully for any sign of movement.
"Clear" you mutter to yourself, patting the dust off your uniform as you get up.
You look at the silver bracelet clasp to your wrist. Annoyed and frustrated you were ready to smash it against a tree nearby. When it buzzed once, making your arm feeling slightly numb.
There was another flashing green light. Cautiously you look around your surroundings, having a feeling that whenever a green light flashes, something's going to happen.
As your hands grip tightly around the handles of your blade. You begin to walk toward the way, that your gut feeling tells you, that might be a good way to go. The cawing of the black crows echoed behind you,as they flew off the trees and disappear into the distance of the slightly clouded blue sky.
You look up at the tall trees surrounding you. Releasing your hooks at the right angle, as it pulls you off the ground, and land yourself on a sturdier branch on the lower end of the tree.
" this might be safer than the ground" you mutter to yourself, when see a small boar dashing across your view, followed by a very energetic girl chasing after it.
" Sasha!" You shouts, jumping down, just as you land on the ground about to stand up.
"Ahhhh~!" Connie knocks you over, as he can not stop himself in time.
You open your eyes to Connie staring at you, your noses almost touching as you see a light blush on his cheeks.
" how long are you going to stare at her, get up." Connie gets pull up by the collar by Renir.
You hear a rustle in the bushes behind Connie and Renir, as you look over, you see Hange half crawling out of the bushes, " you guys sure run fast for food."
She looks up to see you, " Hey, ___" brushing a leaf off her shoulder as she get up and joins you.
Sasha come sprinting back, looking like she is about to beat someone up.
" That could have been our lunch!" She said, until she sees you. "_____!" She give you a quick hug " we found you!"
You are very suprise by how fast they quickly caught up to you at such a short amount of time.
" So..how did you guys find me so fast?"
" Oh that was easy" Hange said adjusting her glasses.
" and crazy..." Renir rub the back of his neck
" I thought I was gonna die.." Connie's face almost going pale remebering the experience.
" We went off the cliff, the same way you did." She grins in thriumph.
You chuckle slightly, amused yet in awe at their braveness.
" Where do we go, now that we've found ___?" All four of you turn to Hange, who hold the map between her index and thumb. Her glasses slipping off the bridge of her nose as she stares at the map.
"This way" Hange points towards the direction behind you.

It's been about an hour of walking and there were still nothing but trees.
Night had fallen, so the five of you decided to make camp right on the spot.
You are glad that Sasha's group was the ones that found you, or else you might be sleeping on an empty stomach tonight.
As you watch five pieces of rabbit meat roasting in the fire. It's juices running down the wooden sticks that it's skewered on.
You nibble on the piece of stall bread from this morning, as Sasha chews on a potato she had stashed in her bag.
" What's that?" Sasha asks. You look at Sasha chewing her potato, then for ollow her gaze to the bracelet on your wrist.
" It's a prototype tracking device..or at least that's what I was told.." You said.
" Where did you get it?" Connie asks as he turns your wrist around in his hand, examining it.
"Commander." You said.
" Commander...Erwin?!." Sasha, Connie and Hange sing in unison, as they gather close to you looking at the bracelet.
Looking at Hange's expression, it seems like you and Levi are the only ones who know about this.
" Did he just give it to you or what?" Connie purses on.
" it's more like I was force to wear it..." They look at you with love struck eyes.
" It's not like that..I think I'm part of his experiment of some sort."
You look down at the bracelet until you hear some heavy breathe to your right.
All four of you turn your head toward Hange, who was panting inappropriately and chuckling to herself, as she mutters the word "experiment~"
" I think the meat's done" Sasha said bluntly.
" Yeah" Connie follows as Renir nods, turning their backs on Hange. You sit down next to Sasha, she hand you your skewered meat.
Thankfully, Hange regains her composure and start biting down on her supper.

" What type of experiment is it?" Connie asks with food in his mouth.
" He didn't say...and just clasps it onto my wrist and left." you tear a piece of meat with your teeth.
Connie and Sasha looks at each other.
Food almost drop out of your mouth as you see the sight in front of you.
Renir facepalm himself, as he said " oh god..here we go again."
Sasha acting like a timid little lamb saying " No Commander not like this..." as Connie grabs onto Sasha's wrist, imitating Erwin's expression. " Think of it as... Fighting for humanity."
"Um..guys.." You try to say something,but nothing seems to reach their ears. For a moment you thought you saw sparkles and flower pedals surrounding their presence.

After supper, you snuggle into your sleeping bag for the night. Renir sits up against a tree, as he is the night watch for the night.
Commander Erwin isn't the type to be joking around.So what exactly is your mission? You thought to yourself, as you slowly drifts off to sleep.