~ Episode 13 - The Not so Safe Zone... ~

Warning - Mention of guts spilling out of stomachs

We all woke up and continued on our journey to the safe zone. According to Lawrence, we were close, only two or three blocks away. I walk besides Zion, watching Hermione and Eugene together. I look up at Zion, smiling.

"Thank you for helping me get them together, finally," I said, grabbing his hand in mine.

"Anything for my sweetheart." He kissed the top of my head, rubbing my shoulder. I lean towards him and lean against his arm as we walk. Hermione suddenly yells and points at something. We all look and there it is. The safe zone.

"Guys we've made it!" She yelled, jumping up and down eventually hugging Eugene, both of them tumbling to the floor.

"Hey watch it..." I heard Eugene say, as Lawrence signaled us to sprint toward it. They quickly stand up and run along next to us. In our bliss of finding the safe zone, we didn't notice the zombies, running way faster than us. They are upon us before we can react.

"Guys!" I hear Harry yell. "RUN!" It was now a race for our lives. I push my legs to carry me faster, but they can't. Harry trips over something and falls onto the ground. A zombie is upon him in an instant.

"Harry NO!" I can see Hermione look back and try to go help him, but Eugene stops her. Eugene may have stopped her, but nobody's stopping me. I turn around and pull my dagger out of its sheath on my pants. I run to the zombie and stab it in the head.

It falls to the ground and I look at Harry. He's all bloody and I can see his organs spilling out of him. I try not to gag as I pick up his arms and start dragging him.

"Skylar! Come on!" Zion grabs my arm and tries to pull me away from him.

"No! We can't leave him!" I exclaimed, tears streaming down my face. Harry's hand reaches up to mine and I look down at him. I crouch next to him.

"You're going to be okay. You're gonna live to see the safe zone. You are not dying!" I said, looking at his face.

"Skylar... you have to go. I... I'm not gonna make it." Harry said, coughing up blood.

"I'm not leaving you, Harry!" I exclaimed, more tears streaming down my face. He messes with his hand and pulls something off of his finger. He puts it in my hand and I look at his face for answers.

"Take that... and live... go." Harry was getting weaker by the second and there were too many zombies coming, but I wasn't going to leave him.

"I'm not going!" I said again, determined.

"Live for the baby," Harry said. I stare at him, tears blurring my vision.

"Skylar... we have to go, now." I let Zion pull me away from Harry and my hand gets pulled out of his. I clutch whatever he put in my hand tightly and I watch as his body gets mutilated by zombies. Zion has to help me stand because I can't myself. We run to the entrance of the safe zone and get greeted by soldiers. I have Harry's blood all over my clothes.

The soldiers start checking everyone for bite marks or if they're infected. Zion pulls me to him and I cry into his shoulder.

"We were all supposed to make it!" I exclaimed into his shoulder, still crying. I could see Ethan shedding tears. Zion rubs my back, trying to comfort me. What Harry said keeps repeating in my head. This was going to haunt me for the rest of my life.

~

Three days have passed since we arrived in the safe zone... and Harry's death. Eugene was still attempting to get Hermione to eat, but she refused. I couldn't stop crying, thinking that I could've saved him. It turned out he gave his mother's ring to me which broke my heart even more. I guess his death affected us all, even Lawrence.