Doctor Dede

We went to the Vampire dentist. A Vampire, and a dentist to Vampires, although she has human clients, mostly. Helen said her teeth wore out six times already. A dentist for Vampires mostly pulls worn out teeth so new ones will be stimulated to come in.

That must not have been fun before anesthesia. I mentioned that, and Helen replied "No. It absolutely is NOT. At least a Vampire's teeth are not all that much harder to pull: they are not part of the bone. Thank all the gods."

Helen's friend is named (in this version of herself) 'Dede', and she is a vibrant woman high energy women. Just like you'd expect a friend of Helen's to be. She does not seem to know boring people.

When Helen told Dede why I needed to see her, the Doctor came in early to work me into her schedule, and ahead of her regular human clients. Dede escorted us past a typical but empty reception area and into a private examination room. I looked around: Many dentists have a more open plan area than this one, with chairs and privacy dividers, and I wondered if the private room is for her fanged clients. I guess Vampires get cavities, although repairs to existing teeth are probably limited to simple things. At some point, it is probably easier to just say 'Screw it: Grow a new one'.

We were seated in the private room, me in that awful chair.

Doctor Dede looked at my mouth with professional concern. Jessica and Helen watched as she looked me over with all bright lights shining in. She felt around the palate and bones, and I assume observed in IR as well. No X-Rays.

Vampire fangs are damn strong for how thin they are: I saw Helen use her needle-sharp fangs to nearly rip out a man's throat. A drug dealer who had it coming, but still: Not one of my favorite memories. The fangs can break even when they are not being helped by a hammer, and so the replacements are made quickly by the body. I already spit out the four roots of the teeth that were left behind by the face sledging, as new teeth made their way to the surface. Four different times I found unexpected things in my mouth.

"Sirens did this?" Dede asked. She had a trace of a Jamaican accent and the dark and lovely coloration of someone from the Island. As usual with Vamps, the Doctor looked about twenty-five. I bet that meant her clients all thought she just got her license. Helen assured me that Dede is the best there is, and I believe her. Dr. Dede could be almost any age and perhaps been doing dental work for decades.

"Ouch." I said as she pushed my lip up. It is better today, but not great. I did not get much sleep last night. Jessica kept waking me up about every two hours to see if I was 'ready yet'. We would make love, she would stuff pills in me, and I would sleep for a while, healing. Calcium and amino acids all night long.

"Sorry. Would you like me to numb that? I am going to have to work in this area for a bit, making some molds." Dede asked.

"That would be nice." I said

As she injected me, and the cold numbness started to spread across my face, she talked to Helen and Jessica "I did not know Sirens still existed. I was not even sure they were ever anything but stories. You know us and our stories. Sitting in the hot tub at Conclave and talking about all the Vampire boogeymen."

Helen did most of the talking. "Sirens are apparently not only real, but they are every bit as nasty as legend has it. They are animals. They tore up the holiday decorations, chased the cats, shat on the floor, mashed and bruised a human woman's breast, and did that to his teeth. One tried to rip Jessica's nipple right off in the past."

There was venom for those points, and the good Doctor noted it. She paused and asked "What will you do about it, Helen? Will you bring the Council in on this, or is this personal for you?" I heard an echo in the way she said 'personal' that told me that she understood Helen, and what is personal to her very well. Quiet, and deep they ran. Very deep.