We Wants to Know

We walked in silence out 'The Firehouse' front door, down the stairs and climbed into Jessica's Honda. Jessica turned the key and started the motor. Once the doors closed and the motor ran, and there is no way the Sirens could hear, the car exploded in angry voices.

"What the fuck, Adrian? Captive Vampire?" inquired Helen

"How did you know? What did you just do in there?" inquired Jessica, not sweetly.

I started by being all suave and casual "I thought that went well. How about you?" and then in self-preservation, because Helen reached for me, I answered quickly "It has been obvious for a while they had inside information. They know that Rachel plus Helen is one-sixth of the council for example. When they tasered me, they were surprised at how much juice it took to take down a male Vampire. That meant they have practical experience. They tasered a female Vamp before, and not one that could tell other Vampires. They thought male Vampires are weak and worthless. Who would have such a low opinion of a male Vampire? A female one. Think about the lengths Vamps all go to in order to be secret. Off the radar. Female Vamps kill their own kind for god's sake. No way Sirens know all the things they know without inside information. Deep inside. The only way they could get that is to capture a Vampire and torture her into telling them what they needed to know. I am guessing she has been serially raped, but I won't know until they bring her to me." I looked around at Helen in the back seat. "That my sweet blondey blonde lover is what the fuck. Also: you ARE mine now. Siren law."

Jessica, looking somewhere between grim and impressed, wheeled out of the gravel parking lot with a crunch. "It was all a bluff."

I shook my head left and right. "No my sweet Amazonian dark-haired love, not really. I knew. I could tell by scents and body language when he is telling the truth, and when he is lying. I knew. I knew when they appointed me as the Liaison that one of his unstated reasons is that he bought the female Vampire stuff about the males of their species being weak, unreliable, and so forth. He thought he is better than me. Smarter than me. He was a high mucky-muck in Siren-land, and I am only a male Vampire, urinated upon by his species, on a good day."

Jessica looked sideways at me. "They made a mistake putting you in that role, and I imagine they regret it now. Thank you for claiming me by the way, so I could keep my fangs." She grinned.

"Oh, right. Like that crew could bash them out. Two fights. There is nothing left in them but bluster unless the girls decide to join in, and I have a feeling that is not how they work."

"Still, I like being claimed and all. Makes me feel wanted." She was still grinning

I laughed.

Jessica looked over at Helen who is still doing a slow burn "You seem less than happy about being claimed." She said.

"I could give a shite. He already staked that claim earlier today. Several times." Helen noted in quiet fury.

Jessica laughed happily. "A stake joke? I love it. You know what this all means?".

Helen grouched: "Yes: It means I now need to gather the council for an emergency meeting and explain the new situation. Fucking again. Immediately. A captive Vampire. This is going to be huge. We were not even aware someone was missing, not that we would..."

Jessica nodded "Yes. That too. In particular what it means about Adrian's probationary period. He can't be the Liaison and be killed. It would fuck up everything. The god damn Sirens just went and gave Adrian covering fire. Also, he claimed you. To the Sirens, you are his."

Helen actually relaxed a little and looked slightly amused "Oh, that. Nothing was ever going to happen to Adrian Jessica. I am surprised you did not figure that out. Also, you were there today. I am quite exceptionally and confusingly his, to be sure. Also, he is mine."