Survey Says...

When we arrived back at the house, Lori and Danny waited anxiously.

"No problems" Jessica assured them, and they visibly relaxed.

"Did you get anything good?" Danny asked

"Let us go see." I said.

I connected the camera to the computer and copied its digital data over. "That's going to take a couple of minutes." I said

"So, tell us, what did you see?" Lori asked

"Sirens. Lots of them." I said.

"How many?" Danny asked

"Red, Green, Arnold, and bunches of others, going by the scents. I didn't see or smell the side Jessica was on. I saw the bar / ballroom thingy. If Vampires wonder if Sirens are back in force, the evidence from tonight is 'hell yes.'"

Jessica added to the count "I am not as good at Adrian at separating out the scent of a Siren, probably because I have only ever smelled the one up close, and never had any trauma to associate the scent with..."

"That and let's be honest, Jessica, Adrian has now surpassed you and I in the Vampire nose department." Helen said.

"That too. Also sight, hearing, and tongue."

"Tongue?" Lori asked, raising an eyebrow. She thought Jessica had some innuendo going on there.

"Oh yes. Taste I mean." Jessica corrected, saw Lori's disappointed look and added: "Yes Lori. That way too. He was already good that way when he was human. I married him. Remember? It's a pre-requisite. Anyway, there was another number of them in the restaurant part of the bar. Let's say to be very technical that the place is rife with them."

"It's a damnable nest." Helen said.

That caused a moment of somber reflection, and Lori rubbed unconsciously at her previously mauled breast.

"Here we go. I'll throw this onto the big screen so we can all see it." I made all the software and hardware connections so that the TV could be another monitor and started the playback. The sound piped through the stereo to get it in as high a fidelity as the little camera microphone would record. 

We watched my first zoom and scan around the space, and I felt Danny tense when Red, Green, and Arnold came into the frame. I did a pretty good job on the zoom in. Each man framed for several seconds. Yea, point and shoot!

The women with them also came in for some screen time. All the details there: Jessica bought a decent little camera because of course she did. Jessica never does anything by half measures. When I centered on the shortie shorts and the visible parts of the cheeks peeking out below them, Lori snickered.

I pulled back to go back to general room scanning. Every now and then I paused playback and said. "I think this guy is a Siren, and this one, and this one." Then I would let the playback resume.

During one pause Lori asked, "So, humans are in on the Siren thing?"

"Not sure which way you mean 'In'. Wait." I said.

The concert started, and as each singer was greeted back at the table in a way reminiscent of the sex ballad they performed, I saw Lori nodding.

The last song is even worse for being low fidelity. The words still brutal, the hypnotics lost to the distance, the window, and the tiny microphone. Lori did not need to hear any of those songs in high fidelity anyway.

I felt the anger rise again from that last song.

When it was done, we sat down for a conference, and I handed out drinks. Beer for myself, Jessica and Danny, and a reputedly good Napa Cab Sav for Lori and Helen.