Late Night Chats

Something doesn't feel right. Peter fell asleep somehow and he can vaguely start to hear the TV. He can feel the couch underneath him and Tony's shoulder on his right. But Peter can't open his eyes. No matter how hard he tries, they just won't. He can't move. He can't breathe. He tries to force his muscles to move or at least open his eyes, but nothing works. The panic starts to set in. He can't move and he can't breathe and suddenly all he can feel is his heart hammering against his chest. No matter how hard he tries he can't move a single muscle or take in a single, much needed breath. If I can't breathe, I'm going to die. Why can't I breathe?! He tries to call out to Tony and Bruce, but he doesn't make a damn sound. His heart beats even faster and he wishes the adrenaline would shake him out of whatever kind of trance he's in. Is this Mysterio? Wouldn't Mr. Stark know?! I don't want to feel like I'm being crushed. Not again. I don't want to go through this feeling and this pain over and over. I don't want this to be my life. All I want is my lungs to let me scream. I can't let Toomes keep controlling me, I know that!

But he just can't help but feel the pressure on his back and the serrated metal digging into his skin.

   Am I even awake? Is this another nightmare? I can't tell and it only makes me feel even more out of control and alone and-

"Boss, Peter's pulse has increased dramatically," F.R.I.D.A.Y. informs the room, her voice cutting through Peter's panic. It's something to hold on to, to prove he's not alone. His last remaining comfort slips away as soon as Tony moves away and his head rolls to the side without the support.

"Peter." Tony's strict voice fills Peter's head. Strong hands grip his shoulders and Tony tries to jostle him awake, but Peter can't make himself react. His lungs just won't work. He can't do anything. "Shit, he's not breathing," Tony mumbles Bruce. Tony can feel his own heart rate start to pick up, staring at Peter's lax face and constricted chest. Did something happen while he wasn't looking? Did Peter get hit and kept quiet about it?

"Peter, can you hear me?" Bruce's voice is directly in front of Peter as he feels Tony's warm hands disappear. Peter wants to yell out so desperately. Just move! Move move move move move... Peter's finger twitches.

"Jesus Christ, what the hell's going on Bruce?" Tony's voice is close again and it's more tense than the last time.

"I, I don't know, alright?" Bruce's voice is tense as well. Panicked. Peter tries to coach himself out of it. If I can just keep moving...c'mon, move! Out of nowhere, he's able to open his eyes and suck in a breath that he thought he'd never get again. His chest heaves to pull in as much air as humanly possible and he gladly welcomes it.

"Thank god," Tony says breathlessly. "My heart can't handle this kind of stress."

"Can you hear me?" Bruce asks Peter, trying to maintain eye contact with him. Peter quickly nods and hopes beyond hope that he doesn't let himself cry. That was terrifying, but he's okay. He's okay. He's holds up a shaky thumbs up before letting it drop into his lap. Tony stiffly sits down next to Peter and hovers his hands over Peter's shoulders as if the boy will pass out any second.

"How do you feel?" Tony asks. Peter doesn't feel so good, but he nods anyways. He still doesn't speak. He's afraid that if he speaks, all the oxygen will disappear again. He lies his head back against the head of the couch, but doesn't dare to close his eyes. "No, don't give me that crap. You just scared the everloving heck out of us, so I'm gonna need a better answer than that and don't you dare say that you're okay. That was not okay." Tony gets more aggravated as he talks. He isn't one for portraying fear or concern, so he's trying to cover it up with anger. Either that or he's just angry. It's probably the latter. Peter doesn't look at Tony and instead keeps his eyes locked on the ceiling as he nods.