Ringmaster

Notes:          

Hey!!! I'm SUPER excited for this chapter, it was a lot of fun to write and has a lot of action!🎉🎊 And happy 100k words!!! You're amazing!! It honestly means the world that you're here and so supportive, I hope you're enjoying the story :) Have fun and stay safe!!❤🧡💛💚💙💜

Look below for the trigger warning for this chapter, but they're also spoils so look at your own risk! :)

-

-

-

TW & slight spoils//hallucinogenic gas exposure and minor blood/injury

---

It takes Peter five minutes too long to swing from the bookstore to the Empire State Building. Luckily, he doesn't have to slow down for inconvenient things such as traffic and detours due to Mysterio's sudden appearance. Karen, MJ, and Ned all give him updates as he swings as to any moves Mysterio tries to make. Peter can't stop thinking about what Mysterio said, "The show waits for no one!" He forces his already fatigued arms to swing himself forward even faster.

When he arrives on the scene, he lands on the outside of one of the Empire State Building's thousands of windows. He's only about six stories up, but he can see the helicopter's light at the top. It's a long climb to the observatory deck, roughly seventy more floors, but he doesn't hesitate to start his ascent.

"I'm getting serious flashbacks to Washington, guys," Peter grunts in exertion as he uses his webs to climb faster.

"Except the Empire State Building is more than twice the height of the Washington Monument," Ned corrects without remorse. That's helpful.

"Yeah, I'm aware. Thanks for the boost of confidence!" Peter responds sarcastically. He glances to the live news feed every few seconds to make sure all the hostages are still safe. There are at least six visible hostages and Mysterio is confident enough to be monologuing to the helicopter with his arms raised.

"If it makes you feel better, the Empire State Building wasn't built by slaves," MJ reassures matter-of-factly.

"Oh yeah, so much better. My faith in humanity has been restored," Peter humors her.

"It was during a time when people of color didn't have rights," MJ adds. Y'know, how could Peter argue with that?

Once he gets closer to the 86th floor, where the observation deck is, he looks at the live feed to see what side Mysterio is on. Based off the live feed, Peter can see that Mysterio is on the platform that faces North. Peter crawls to the North side of the building and continues to climb up.

The observatory wraps around the spire and is partly enclosed by interconnecting, metal bars that don't quite close off the platform. Instead, it leaves a gap from the top of the bars to the base of the building. Peter should be able to swing over the cage-like structure to reach the observation deck. He feels better knowing that it decreases the risk of anyone being able to fall off, considering the bars look about ten feet tall. When he reaches the 86th floor, he stops.

"Peter? Why'd you stop?" Ned questions nervously as Peter eyes the ridge of the observation landing.

"Math. Trajectories and stuff," Peter supplies in a concentrated mumble. He shoots a web from each wrist and, once they're attached, he slowly leans back. If I can just get the angle right... With a swift, aching tug from both arms, he launches himself upwards. He lets go of his webs, flying up over the metal bars and landing on the concrete observation deck in a low stance.