Chapter 7; Dodging

"The world may be unpleasant, but the heavens make it seem bleak"

For the next week or so peter thought about the offer from tony and because he didn't have a bunch of kids to keep his mind occupied. Peter kept thinking it over but he really couldn't come up with a good reason why Mr.Stark would want him to be his intern. I mean peter wasn't exactly a genius like stark was, so why would he want peter around every Friday? It wasn't a good idea, it was inevitable if he was around stark all the time he would eventually let his secret slip. Or what if stark put it together and confronted him? Peter thought that it really wasn't a good idea to intern for stark. but how was he supposed to say no to the great Tony Stark?

The next day at school peter couldn't stop thinking about what to say to stark. "Mr. Parker are you paying attention?" Mr. Harrington asked. Peter looked back at his teacher "uh, yes sir?" sigh. "then you wouldn't mind answering the question on the board?" Harrington asked. Peter slowly made his way to the board and answered the question with ease. As peter was walking back to his seat flash tripped him and leaned down and said "it was an easy question Parker don't think it was anything special". Peter just sighed and got up and sat back down at his desk, going back to thinking about what to do about stark.

Soon enough the final bell rang and peter made his way outside the school to see a sleek black car and as peter got closer to it Tony Stark made his way outside of it. "hey kid, get a chance to think over the internship? Ah it doesn't matter right now, anyways come on kid. We're going to the tower, get in." Stark gestured to the car. "Uh, sorry Mr.Stark but uh, i don't, um. i don't think," "oh, come on kid. We're just going to the tower, the avengers want to hangout a bit more. I think they're gonna do game night." "um, yeah i guess. just let me uh call or uh text the headmistress so shes like knows where i am." "ok kid, but you know you can call in the car." Peter blushed then slowly go into the car.

There was something about this kid stark couldn't understand. Most kids would jump at the chance to so much as see the avengers and this kid was being invited to game night by them yet he was still so hesitant. Like he didn't want to go, but why? Stark was suspicious of why this kid was so afraid of things, so he thought later on he would do some digging on him. after about 20 minutes and a call to the headmistress, peter and tony made it to avengers tower. Everyone stopped and stared at peter as he was walking in with tony stark himself, everyone wondering who this kid was. Then the elevator dinged and they were at the avengers floor.

"Hey guys, look who i went and got. hes even staying for game night" stark announced. "uh, hi" peter said awkwardly while waving. "hey, Pete how're ya man"Clint said walking up and slapping his shoulder. "uh, alright? i mean i'm good. i guess." "not very confident with that answer are you" Natasha said with a little venom behind her voice. The other avengers just sent her glances. "uh, no. 'I've always been a little...pulled back? i um, confidence isn't something that I've ever really, um. sorry i can just leave if you don't-" "don't be crazy kid, of course we want you here, wouldn't have invited you if we didn't." stark said smiling at the kid then sending another glance towards Natasha.

"so kid, what game should we start with?" stark asked. "uh, monopoly?" "no! ah! god no! stark always win monopoly it isn't fair!" Clint said. "shut it, Legolas kid wants monopoly then its monopoly. since we don't have enough pieces, well play teams. i call the kid!" stark said. Peter just smiled as he watched the avengers start to argue why he got to be on tony's team and not theirs but Natasha was still watching him like he was a suspect. Peter could tell Natasha was watching him all night but he was having fun with the avengers so he decided not to engage anything tonight. After about 2 hours of monopoly they decided to play trivial pursuit, needless to say the science bros were pleasantly surprised with how much knowledge he knew.

It was a long time but eventually peter looked at his phone and the time said 10:30. "uh guys, i think i should get going now its pretty late." stark looked at his phone then sighed "alright kid, ill get happy to drive you home. one more thing, you gonna be here Friday or what?" peter looked down, "uh, maybe. i'm still thinking about it" stark nodded. Then peter left with happy back to the children's home and practically collapsed in his bed when he got there. Meanwhile stark was starting to dig into peters past. "what're you doing tony?" Steve asked. "i think Natasha was right, there's something off about the kid." "oh come on, you're just being paranoid" "then ill be the judge of that Steve." captain just sighed and walked away shaking his head.

Peter got an hour of sleep then he got up and went on patrol. He could sense the avengers coming but honestly he was in a good mood so he let them get close. "hey spidey, mind if we talk?" captain america asked. Spidey gestured to the spot next to him. He went to walk forward. "not you, Stark. and without the suit." the avengers looked at each other then stark got out of his suit and sat next to him. "why me? with your sense of justice id think you'd want to talk to the man in charge." stark said. "i am stark. you pay for everything and give them all a home. you are the most valuable asset to the avengers. in my sense of the word at least.".

They just sat there for 10 minutes saying nothing. "i don't wanna fight you guys. i have enough problems to fight on my own." peter said. "we get it, we got a lot of things we could be doing right now. but we have something we wanna ask you." stark said. Spider-man tilted his head gesturing for stark to ask. "we want you to join the avengers." spider-man snorted and started laughing. The avengers were taken aback. "why? why don't you want to? id be perfect-" then suddenly spider-man stood up. "i work better alone. you want my help ill come by and help sometimes. but i cant do what i do if i'm worried about other people." peter said.

Then spider-man jumped and swung away once again leaving the avengers in his dust. Peter patrolled for a bit more then went back home and slept for a bit. Tomorrow was an entire new day. And he still needed to find a way to tell stark he wasn't gonna take that internship. The avengers on the other hand were trying to make sense of what spider-man said. then stark got a text. 'hey Mr.Stark, I've thought about it and i just don't think i can do the internship. i'm really grateful for the opportunity but i'm just too busy here at the home taking care of the other kids. i understand if you delete my number and you and the avengers never want to see me again. but i had a great time with you guys so i'm grateful i had the time with you guys that i did. goodbye!'

Ugh stark threw his phone. "whats with you stark?" Natasha said. "the kid, peter, he doesn't want the internship. i just don't understand it, its an amazing opportunity and he doesn't want it. I even looked into the kid and nothing. Everything he said is true and i just don't understand why he doesn't want the internship. Even worse he thinks because he isn't taking the internship we wont want to see him told me he would blame me if i deleted his number and we all just forgot him." stark said. "why the hell would he think that? i thought it was pretty clear we freaking love that kid." Clint said. "well i guess not." Steve said. "i think its a good thing. i'm still convinced there's more than meets the eyes about him." Natasha said. Everyone just rolled their eyes at her.

Across the city in a prison inside a specific cells stilled Harold Osborn looking at a picture of spider-man. "i swear to you, i will take you down. i will find you and kill you, our entire lives you've been better than me. more loved by my father, well not anymore. I'm gonna kill you Peter Parker. I don't care about our past, i'm gonna kill everyone you care about and make you watch. Just you wait Spider man, you're done for." harry started laughing manically. Peter on the other hand was laying in his bed when he shuttered for what reason he didn't know. Yet. But soon he will, and he wont see it coming.

"I feel as if I were a piece in a game of chess, when my opponent says of it: That piece cannot be moved."
_______________________________

Hey guys, i know its been a long time since i posted but here's the next chapter! you guys wanted it so badly so here it is! i honestly was gonna leave this unfinished but because i've gotten so many requests to finish it i will! it might take awhile, i'm pretty busy so i don't have much time to work on a continuance story like this. but if you guys like my writing and want more you can go over to my one shot book, i post a lot more there. anyways pce out mah dudez✌🏻