Chapter 11; It's You

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold"

Peter was on his way home after his, encounter, with the avengers. Rubbing his eyes as he walked down the streets of New York, trying to stop the tears that seemed to be never ending. All peter wanted was to get to work and forget about today's encounter. But he was very distracted the whole shift so Mr. Delmar sent him home early. He was just on his way out when his phone vibrated. He got a message from one of the new kids at the group home. 

Troy: Mrs. Bea brought a man home. Apparently he'll be living here from now on. Just giving you a heads up so you're not blindsided.

Peter: Thxs for letting me kno.

Peter got off his shift early so he wasn't expected home for awhile. He donned the spider-man suit and made his way swinging through New York. There wasn't much crime so he ended up just swinging around for awhile. Peter was swinging and realized me recognized the street he was going over, then he looked up. He had subconsciously made his was to Avengers tower. He swung until he landed on the peak and took a breath. 

Then he heard a voice. "Funny seeing you here" Peter looked behind him and there was Tony Stark, with an unopened bottle in his hand. "I got a little sidetracked" he replied, deepening his voice an octave so tony didn't recognize it as his. Tony then opened the bottle of what peter assumed was whiskey. "I brought you a glass, if you want one?" Tony asked. "I don't drink. Thank you for the thought." Peter replied.

Peter looked back out to the skyline as the sun was just starting to set, he turned his head slightly to see tony out of the corner of his lens. "There a reason you're drinking tonight Mr. Stark?" He asked. "I f*cked up. Just want to drown my sorrows a bit, what about you? How does Spider-Man just forget where hes going and end up on top of my tower?" Tony asked. "Thought this was avengers tower now? Not stark tower?" Tony raised his eyebrow.

"Good deflection, I take it you're not gonna answer my question then?" Tony asked. "I was a little distracted, guess my subconscious took me here." Tony looked confused. "Why would it take you here? Where you could get captured and caught?" Peter thought for a second and said, "Maybe it knew this is what i needed? And that you wouldn't try to catch me considering everything that's already happened." Tony hmed. Peter was quiet for a few moments. 

Then Peter looked straight ahead at the now setting sun. "I think i messed up too today." Tony looked up at him, "Oh? What d'ya do?" Tony asked. Peter sighed "I- pushed someone away today, that i think i really care about. I don't know if that was the right decision." Tony raised his eyebrow once again. "You have people you care about? Thought you were all lone soldier?" Peter turned and looked at Tony. 

"Of course i have people i care about why do you think i wear a mask?" Peter sighed again. "Well why did you push this person away?" He asked curiously. "H- They, i-, *sigh* i'm used to being protective. Look at what i do, but with them, its different. They protect me, i'm not used to it. It scares me...I'm weak-" Tony interrupted "You're not weak. By running away you're being weak." Peter didn't know what to say so he turned back around to the skyline.

"Being Spider-Man. This is everything i can be, but do i really want that? I don't know why i do this anymore. I know that, what i do is important, but, what about everyone i can't save? I want to save everybody but you know as well as i do that's a fallacy. But a notion and hope. They want to protect me but they don't realize that by pushing them away i'm protecting them. From myself and the things that haunt me..." Peter said.

"Your words sound just like his..." Tony mumbled. Peter whipped around surprising tony. But peter managed to save himself, "So you're going through something similar? Then can't you understand?" Tony looked up at him. "I get it. Why you're doing it, but did you ever take a minute to think about how they might feel? What if by trying to protect them you're actually hurting them?" Tony replied. 

Peter was surprised, "What? I'm trying to keep them from being hurt, if they don't understand then they're being close minded! I'm doing whats right!...Right?" Peter looked at Tony. He just looked up "Hell if i know. But i can tell you that yes, something similar happened to me today and from being on the receiving end feels like crap. I know he has his secrets and things that he cant tell us and he wants to protect us but-" Tony stops. 

"You just want to see him. See his smile and hear his laugh and you want to be there for him and work through his problems and just. Be there with him..."Peter said. Tony looked up at him and nodded before taking a gulp right from the bottle. "Here's what you don't get Mr. Stark. Trying to force him, will just make him hurt instead." Tony was looking away with a sad face. "I feel like he's hurting himself more." Tony said.

Peter was taken aback for a second then cleared his throat. "Well he might be, but he just might also be happier now." Peter said, "But what if he changes him mind? What if this isn't what he really wants?" Tony asked. Peter took a second to contemplate. "I think, that's something for him to wonder and not you." Tony took another sip. "Well. Good talk Mr. Stark, i hope you can sort your things out with this guy." 

"He's got to be pretty special to have you drinking over him." Peter went to go swing away but Tony said something first. "If you push people away all you do is end up alone and then when you need someone to catch you, there'll be no one." Peter shot a web and left tony with one last thought, "And what if i want to fall Mr. Stark." and peter swung away looking back seeing Tony going back inside without the only barely drank whiskey bottle. 

Peter decided to put off going home, he just texted the headmistress saying he would be a little late is all. He didn't know where to go at first but then it struck him. He went and picked up some flowers and went to Queens Cemetery. He had to walk up the steep hill and down towards the big oak and saw the 4 headstones. He walked down to the bit oak tree and saw the 4 headstones, all in a row.

2 older than the others, more damaged and dirty. 2 a bit cleaner and in better condition. All four were nothing special just names carved on them. 'Richard Parker' 'Mary Parker' 'Benjamin Parker' 'May Parker'. Peter took the bouquet he bought and took out four of the flowers. He laid out one flower for each. "Hi mom, dad, uncle Ben, aunt may. Sorry its been awhile since I've come to see you. But i really need to say something." 

"I- I miss you guys. A lot, and i really wish you were here right now cause i really need advice. Guess i'm gonna have to figure it out on my own huh? *chuckle* not that its new or anything. I think i'm doing the right thing but what if i'm not? I'm trying to hold true to what you said uncle Ben but it's hard. I don't know if what i'm doing is right. But i'm going to hold myself to my choice consequences and all. It was good talking to you guys. Love you."

Peter then made his way across the cemetery to a lone headstone and placed the rest of the flowers. "Hi gwen...I don't really know what to say to you. If you were here right now you'd probably be chewing me out for what i'm doing. But, i want to be alone. I can't have anyone else get hurt like you did. Because of me. I- I miss you. A lot. I'm trying to stay strong. I'll keep fighting and i'll be the man you deserved. Bye..." Peter wiped his tears and walked away. 

Peter then started his walk back to the group home. It wasn't too far away so it wouldn't take long to get home. Peter then rounded the corner to his street and saw an odd car outside of the group home. That must be the guy's car troy told me about, peter thought. Peter then made his way up the steps of the group home and inside. Immediately the headmistress came over to peter. "Peter you're finally home!" She gave him a hug.

"Peter i'd like to introduce you to someone, i've been dating him for awhile now and decided to move in together! He doesnt mind you children either, hes excited actually! Now please be nice because i know how you can sometimes be with new people." She smiled. "You got it Mrs. Bea" Peter and the headmistress then made their way to the living room and the man had his back to them. "Sweetie this is peter the oldest boy, Peter this is-" The man turned around and.

"Skip." 

"Each of us must confront our own fears, must come face to face with them. How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it. 

____________________________________________________________

Hi Guys!! Here's chapter 11. I'll start working on chapter 12 soon. Sorry it took so long to update! Anyways, Hope you guys are all ok and I'm going to start working on a new one-shot chapter soon so if you also follow my other book you can look forward to that. See you soon!!! Baiiiii!!!!