Chapter 12; Do People Change?

"No amount of me trying to explain myself was doing any good. I didn't even know what was going on inside of me, so how could I have explained to them?"

"Skip."

Peter's eyes went wide. No, no, no, no- this can't be happening. Peter stumbled back. Everything started coming back to him. He never thought he'd have to see him again. No, he was gone, he couldn't be here. It can't be. No, no, please no. Peter was already panicking, on the verge of an attack. Then one thing drove him over.

"Einstein?"

Peter ran out the door and just kept running, he didn't know how long had passed but when he had finally stopped he found himself in Manhattan. In Manhattan where the tower was, with people who tried to capture him. Peter's mind was racing and going to places that it shouldn't be going to. Peter looked across the street and saw a small diner. It would have to do for now.

Peter walked into the diner and sat down. With about 10 bucks on him, he ordered a hot chocolate and blueberry muffin. He doesn't know how long he sat there for but soon enough it was 1 am. His phone had been ringing for the last 2 hours so peter turned it off. He knew the headmistress would be angry and worried but he didn't care.

He couldn't go back there. Not right now. Not with him there.

But what was he supposed to do he has no where else, thats why he ended up there in the first place. Maybe if peter told the mrs. bea what he was like what he'd done to him...no. never. peter vowed to never speak about...what had happened to him. but he couldn't let skip hurt anyone else. especially not the boys...

Peter up and left the diner and just wandered, for hours he walked trying to devise what to do, eventually peter realized the only thing he could do was face him, but he didn't have the strength that night. He was going to put it off for a couple of, gosh he didn't know. Hours? Days? However long it would be until he was ready.

As time hit about 3am Peter didn't know what to do. He must've walked in the direction of the tower tens of time before realizing and deliberately walking in the opposite direction. Eventually he settled in a closed off portion of Central Park. Atleast there he could be alone and think for a second. But he wasn't alone.

As Peter hopped the fence he found himself sitting on a bench, looking at the cityscape before him. He became so distracted in his own thoughts he didn't realize someone had joined him in the closed of part of the park. He didn't realize until they poked their head in front of his and waved.

"Hello Peter"

God not him.

"Hi Mr. Rodgers"

The conversation continued as follows,
Why're you here at such a time?
Well Mr. Rodgers why're YOU here at such a time?
I believe I asked first Peter, now please answer me.
Well I had a bad night and needed space-
Why not come to the tower? You're always welcome.
As I was saying, I needed space from everyone and everything.

Steve sat down next to him, he didn't say anything else for what felt like forever. Peter got more and more frustrated as he sat.

"Do you think people are capable of change?" Peter asked almost just to the open air as if Steve wasn't there at all.

"I do believe they are capable, but I think it's the getting from point A to point B that all too often fails them on their way."

"Why're you out here at this time Mr. Rodgers?" Peter asked almost questioningly.

"I have troubles sleeping, running helps me. I know this part of the park is closed after midnight so I usually run here so I don't accidentally run into anyone."

The air hung as neither spoke, and after several minutes Peter finally caved first.

"I think that when people change, they leave behind apart of them. And for the most part that's the point, but sometimes we- people- leave behind other parts of them too, some of the good bits. When I was much younger it was so easy to love, to show I loved. But now, I feel like I am incapable of loving someone the same. I feel like in changing during my life I've left behind the part of me that's capable of trusting someone completely and loving them unconditionally." Peter almost whispered the end.

"I think you are more capable than you think. It's true people leave behind parts of themselves as they grow and change, but that doesn't mean that they can't gain back those parts of themselves. People can change and adapt and lose and find themselves. It's what makes us human. You are capable of love Peter, and you are certainly worthy of it if that's what you're worried about."

"Being worthy is exactly what I'm worried about..." Peter stared off into the skyline.

"Peter-"

In that moment Peter knew what was coming so he leapt up and stared pointedly at Steve.

"I'm not in the mood for talking about all the other stuff. Thank you for what's been said here, but I think if we've reached that point it's better for me to go."

"I understand Peter, I, we will always be there when you need an ear or a hand." Steve then stood and started running down the walkway only sparing one single glance behind him.

Peter started walking, about an hour later he had made his way outside the orphanage. With every step Peter felt what little resolve he had crumble. When he opened the door with his key he found no one, everyone presumably in their own beds sleeping. Peter simply made his way to his own and fell to sleep, thinking of anything he could possibly say in the morning to the head mistress, or her, "guest".

______________________
Well hello there, it seems I've returned. Short chapter as I'm ironing out wether I'm gonna slap an ending together or actually do something with this.
Life has been crazy, and i feel like I owe so many people apologies for how long it's been. But just know this, even if I slap together an ending, I will give you one, and I'll make sure it wraps up anything needing wrapped up.
I know how frustrating it is when you read something that doesnt have an ending so I'm gonna try my best to iron out how I can give that to you all. If you'd like you could tell me if I should continue? This was originally gonna be about a 25-30 chapter book, I had it all planned out. But now I wanna know if I should continue that, or just make an extra long chapter sorta base lining the ending for you all. Anyhow, I'll certainly take anything you guys have to offer me to help make that decision. I hope you all have a good day/night and I'll hopefully see you guys soon.
(No promises it won't be another month or so, but considering you guys have waited almost 2 years, I feel like you guys can wait a lil longer for an ending :)