Chapter 10; Internal Battle

"The hardest battle we face is within ourselves."

It had been about a month and a half since peter last saw the avengers. They gave him space at first after the fallout but now, they were trying to reconnect with him. Showing up at his house and asking Ms. Bea to let them see him. But every time she would say the same thing, "He asked me not to let you in." it was starting to frustrate them. They just wanted their happy intern back.

The avengers were miserable. Peter on the other hand, was not so. He felt relieved he didn't have to be extra careful around a bunch of people anymore. He of course still had to be careful but he wasn't as on edge as he was. He worked at Delmar's now, it didn't pay as much as his internship did but it was enough so Ms. Bea only had to take extra shifts during the week and have only morning shifts on the weekends. 

Of course peter missed them, but this was better for them. He didn't know what he would do if Harry decided to hurt them instead of trying to out his identity. He couldn't let them get hurt because of him, not again, not ever. Although peter knew this was very unlikely, he had to hold out hope. That he could control his urge to care about people. So in turn they wouldn't die. 

School on the other hand was nearing its end. Another school year gone by in the blink of an eye. That would give peter more time to work at Delmar's and definitely more time to go out as spider-man. Here's the thing though, this summer would be different. This is his first summer without Gwen. He'll probably just dive deep into spider-man. Save as many people as he can.

Oh boy was he wrong. 2 weeks before the end of school peter came out of midtown and saw a sleek black car just at the end of the gate. Clearly Mr. Stark. He just couldn't take a hint could he? Peter sighed. The great Tony Stark, devolved into stalking a high school just to look for a kid he still barely knew. Yes they got close due to the internship, but that was different. 

That was professional, even though he was constantly invited to game night, and stayed for dinner almost everyday. Even though he would laugh at mister stark when Dum-E would set off the fire extinguisher for no reason and spray mister stark straight in the face and make him jump up and throw peter into hysterics. No! Peter wouldn't let himself get sentimental. He can't.

If peter goes down that rabbit hole he isn't sure he'll come back up. But peter also realizes that hes just been standing on the steps of midtown for the last 10 minutes staring at Mister Stark's car. He wants to just run the other way and continue to avoid him but recently luckily while peter wasn't working the avengers came to Delmar's looking for him. So they knew where he worked now. 

Peter sighed once again, guess its time to face the music. He walked straight to the car, inside only happy. "God, thought id have to do this everyday." Then he just drove. Peter knew where, Avengers Tower. Where everyone was waiting for him, guessing by happy texting in the front seat. Peter took the time on the drive to take deep breaths and think.

Breath; "Why do they care? Why wont they just let me go? I let them go, why can't they?" Breath; "If they stay around me eventually they'll end up like everyone else. Dead." Breath; "They're putting themselves in danger by having me around." Breath; "What if they just want to apologize? What if after that they let me go?" Breath; "Please let me go."

Peter looked up when he realized the car had stopped, they were there. Peter took a big breath and got out of the car going straight for the elevator. He didn't have to say anything, Friday knew where to take him. Peter had never felt so much anxiety before, well expect on his first date with Gwen, but this was different. Peter wrung his hands, closed his eyes and took one final deep breath. Open.

There stood in front of him were the avengers waiting for him. Standing up due to hearing the ding of the elevator. Peter never knew how much he wanted to run then in that moment. He could run. But he had to face them, even if its for the last time. Don't run Peter. Don't run. Face the music. Be a man. Be confident. Be like, Spider-man. 

Peter didn't say anything and just stood there, waiting. Tony was the first to speak. "Thank you. For finally coming." Peter looked away. "Please let us explain. Please peter." Wow the great Tony Stark, begging. Peter looked anywhere but tony's pleading eyes in that moment. "Why do you think i'm here? Ill listen, but I cant guarantee ill stay" Peter sat down on the opposite couch. 

He knew none of them truly knew what to say. He sighed. "Whatever you have to say, say it. I don't have all day I have to be at work in an hour." The others just looked at each other back and forth eventually Steve spoke up. "son-" Peter interrupted, "Don't." "Peter...Can, can I say how sorry I am?" Sam jumped in, "We never should've doubted you."

"It was, unfair, of us to interrogate you like that." Clint said. "You had every right to tell us when you felt comfortable or if ever." Wanda said. "Pete, we're sorry." Tony said. "I'm not." Everyone looked at the one who said it. Not surprising its Natasha. "You kept a secret from us, we did what was necessary to find what it was. I wont apologize for that." Peter just sighed.

"I had every right, Natasha, to keep that to myself. I had every right to. You don't want to apologize that's your business. But remember this Nat, its my life. Not yours to delve into. I knew you were wary of me, it was the others that surprised me. Here's another fact for you to know Natasha. Gwen wasn't the first time I had held someone I love in my arms as they died." 

Peter scowled at her. The air got tense. As Natasha looked horrified. Peter looked away. "I cant forgive you. Not right now. Maybe sometime. But not now. I- I gotta go" Peter went to get up but Tony sprang forward, "Please don't push us away. I know we don't show it, but we've been miserable." Peter just looked away guiltily. "Please stop." Peter said.

Peter wouldn't meet any of their eyes. He just sighed. "I miss you guys ok. But I cant- I cant care about you guys. I just cant." "But why Pete?" Clint said. "You'll die like everyone else. And I cant take you away from the world just because of my selfishness." Peter was trying not to cry. "Kiddo, we're the avengers. You've been kidnapped because of us. If anything that's how we should feel." Tony said.

"But it isn't just that!" Peter ripped his arm away from tony. Peter looked up with all his might and conveyed his emotions. "There are things about me I cant tell you. Things about my past that don't make any sense, but to me. There are people who want me dead. Powerful people. There is so much I have to protect you from, I wont lose you too!" Peter was breathing heavily.

The avengers were stunned. Peter wanted to cry. But with so much adrenaline the tears never fell. Peter grabbed his bag and went to the elevator. He turned only his head and spoke these last words to them. "You'll see me again avengers. Just not in they way you would ever imagine. Goodbye for now." and peter walked away from them and got onto the elevator. 

Silenced and taken aback they all were. The avengers didn't know what to make of peter's parting words, but one thing they did know. They were genuine, and real.  And they would see peter again soon. Like peter said, in a way they would never even imagine. And oh man, they didn't know just how true those words would be. 

Peter on the other hand, was making his way from Manhattan back to queens, to get to work at Delmar's. He didn't know why he blew up at the avengers like that. He usually could stay some what composed. Keep his emotions in check. He couldn't explain why he wanted to protect them so badly. But he did know that he would stop at nothing to make sure they were safe. 

Even if it was from himself. And his past that was slowly, but surely, catching up to him. 

"It's not the Future that you're afraid of. It's repeating the Past that makes you anxious."

____________________________________________________________

Hey guys!! It's been awhile. I edited the book, or like fixed its many plot holes. So now Aunt may has been dead the whole time and hes lived at the group home and this has a lot of TASM in it but I promise MJ and Ned are coming and this is Tom Hollands Spider-man rendition. Also this is short-ish compared to some of the other chapters but bare with me pls :/ Here's a lil spoiler for you guys since I made you wait what feels like an eternity for this. 

; Is Ms. Bea (The Headmistress) as good as I've made her sound? Or is someone coming? Someone that'll make Peter rethink everything?

Dun...dun...dunnnnnnnn, To be continued... ;)