Tears and candles

Crowley's POV

I had sat and stared at him for hours there wasn't much else for me to do. I mean I had made the promise and I truly wanted to keep it, but at the same time, I was also a demon yet still I was making a valiant effort trying to save his life because he had pissed them off as well now. Honestly, I was a bloody awful excuse for a demon. I didn't care anymore. I tried and tried to heal my angel with no results. I had no idea why it shouldn't be that way.  

I watched as the perfect ethereal angel began to move around and I smiled. Even sleeping he was perfect, from hiding me under his wing (literally), to paintballs, to getting taken to hell for me twice. Never in my life will I deserve to be friends with someone like him.  

If only we were more. A small voice at the back of my head said. I brushed it away with a slight blush. I watched as the angel blinked his eyes opened and went to stretch before wincing and putting a hand on his shoulder. Suddenly the power cut. We were engulfed in complete darkness. Aziraphale jumped and gave a small yelp and I shot up, waiting for something to come out of the darkness. Yet, nothing did. 

"Hey, angel," I said softly. "Can you do me a favour and miracle some light in here?" 

I watched as he concentrated, my eyes having already adjusted. He only sighed and looked at me pitifully, a crushing realization came over me. He had wasted most of the energy on keeping me in here. 

"Oh, Aziraphale." He shook his head and tried again, a faint glow appearing just enough to see his face scrunched in concentration and his hair sticking down slightly to his temples. He inhaled shakily and the glow disappeared.

"Crowley I'm... I'm so sor-," I cut him off. I miracled a bunch of candles and lit them all with a wave of my hand placing them gently and steadily around the room. 

"If you were going to say sorry then don't, it is in absolutely no way your fault. If anything it's mine." I knew there was a reason that there were rules like this. Aziraphale leaned forward and placed his head in his hands. I sat back down in the chair next to the bed and put my hand gently on his freezing ones which was strange because he was always the one with the warmth, his hands moving expressively as he rushes to tell me about the latest book. The quickest tea maker on this earth balancing two cups of tea on six books sliding one over to me at all times, some times when I'm not even there, out of habit you could say. There just wasn't that spark anymore. "Hey please, believe me, it's not your fault, none of this was your fault."

"But it was Crowley! That's the problem! I broke the rules, I messed everything around. The demons are mad because I taunted them then proved them wrong. There is absolutely nothing I can do but sit and watch as our lives are ripped apart because I am barely strong enough to keep you from leaving the god-dammed book shop!" He choked on his words. "I just... I just want you to be safe and I...I  can't protect you and that hurts. Crowley, you don't understand how hard it is for me to watch-," I cut him off again.

"What? I don't understand what it is like to watch your best friend in danger and be absolutely useless? Because if you don't remember a few short hours ago you were in hell, and I could do nothing. Yes, it hurts, you were getting hurt and all I could do was watch." My voice caught and I did nothing but stare into the tearful eyes of my angel. He covered his mouth as a small sob escaped. His figure crumpled and he let tears fall on his lap. I regretted my words the second they left my mouth and I mentally smacked myself. What the heaven had I been thinking?  I slid onto the bed next to him. He didn't move he sat there, shoulders shaking and I took off my sunglasses setting them next to us before pulling Aziraphale gently onto my shoulder. He buried his head in my jacket and I let him. Angels rarely cry and when they do it's practically a natural irregularity seas could go still or become the wildest in years, in our case, the stars began to be shadowed, it was like they couldn't handle the sound of him crying, and to be fair neither could I. I had to, however, because in 6,000 years he was my first friend and my first true love, but he would never know that last one. I rubbed circles into his back, and eventually, his sobs died out and I smiled sadly. It was as if the switch had been flicked the stars lit back up. He sat back up but didn't look at me. 

"I'm sorry." He said softly and I chuckled.

"The whole point was to get you to stop apologizing angel!" I said and he began to chuckle as well. 

"Hey, Crowley?" I nodded. "You still plan on staying right?"

"Of course why?" I looked at the funny face Zira was making, even if I told him everything he would never think himself good enough for me, would he?  

"It's nothing, go to bed foul fiend." He said and I laughed. 

T.S ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Barely anytime later I was woken up by Aziraphale bumping around in the dark.

"Angel, what are you doing?" He knocked over a stack of books at the sound of my voice, jumping a mile. His wings shot out and I laughed. 

"I just realized we have absolutely no protection anywhere here and by that I  mean there could be demons lined up on the streets waiting to take you and I began to panic. So I...I don't know what I was doing." He looked down sheepishly and I shook my head with a smile. 

"We'll be fi-," I was cut off by a scream from Aziraphale. "Angel!" I watched as he was taken back into the shadows, a flapping of perfect white wings as they were snapped down. Bringing back memories of being dragged into heaven myself and watching as I... he was hit hard in the back with a crowbar. As he was dragged away I was hit again in the back. Complete darkness slid through into the corners of my vision and I let myself be pulled down with them knowing that was where Zira was going.  

Word count: 1138