Chapter 1

"Excuse me!" a voice rose in the busy and rampant hallways of the school she was completely unfamiliar with. Unfortunately, no one was being much help. Camila sighed in frustration as yet another one of her fellow alumni completely ignored her desperate request. Great. Not only was she completely new to New York City, but the high school monarchy too. Either that or it was Ignore Camila Day. Now more than ever did she want to ship herself in a box back to Miami, her home. Not this place. Back in Miami she had friends, the beautiful beaches that intoxicated her nostrils with the wonderful smell of sea salt and the warm sand covering her feet, beautiful and warm weather where she didn't have to bundle up at all, and a home she'd lived in for the past 16 years up until this point. The point where her father gathered up the family of four and announced excitingly that he'd gotten the promotion at his job he'd worked his butt off for. And of course, Camila was happy for her father-excited even. That is, until he came up with the lovely catch: moving. And it wasn't moving across town-no-across states. And now she left behind her old life in Miami to begin one here in New York. And so far? Not really working out for her.

The tiny brunette approached another student walking by the hallway. "Excuse me!" she exclaimed to the boy moving down the busy hallway. "I really need help getting to this classroom-"she didn't even get to finish her sentence when a group of rowdy jocks accidentally pushed her to the cold floor, her belongings flying everywhere. Groaning, she attempted to gather up all her belongings all while students navigated around her down the hallways with neither one taking the time to help her retrieve her things. Except one.

"People can be so rude sometimes..." A voice trailed off. Camila looked up to see a girl decked out in urban-styled clothes kneeling down beside her, helping her collect the scattered notebooks.

"It's New York's trademark, isn't it?" Camila spoke up. The other girl looked up at her and snorted at the reply. Standing up, the girl used her free hand to offer Camila a lift and Camila took it gratefully.

"That's the nicest you're going to get." The girl replied, handing her the fallen belongings. "I take it you're new?"

Camila nodded. "Yup." She popped the 'p' and sighed. "I'm from Miami."

The other girl hummed. "Miami...must've been one hell of an awesome place. New York has its good qualities too. You just gotta hang around the right people." She winked. "I'm Dinah."

Camila smiled. "Are you suggesting I hang around with you then?" she retorted. "Camila, nice to meet you."

The girl Camila now knew as Dinah laughed, shaking her index finger to Camila. "I like you Camila. You've guessed correctly, I'm the greatest person you'll ever meet!" Dinah exclaimed, throwing her hands up dramatically.

"Correction: Beyoncé is the greatest person you'll ever meet." A voice interjected. A dark-skinned girl butted in the encounter. "Is Dinah annoying you?" the girl turned to Camila. "She tends to do that a lot. That's why she lacks friends."

Dinah sent the girl a playful glare and rolled her eyes. "Hoi." She replied simply.

Camila chuckled. "She wasn't annoying me. In fact, she's the only one that's acknowledged my existence up until this point."

The dark-skinned girl nodded. "So you're new then? I haven't seen your face around these halls..." she assumed. "I'm Normani." She introduced herself.

"Camila. Nice to meet you Normani." The girl nodded. "I'm definitely new here. I have no idea where to go."

Normani reached her hand out. "Let me see your schedule." She replied.

Camila looked through her messy pile and pulled out the sheet with her schedule. "Of course, if you'll help me not look like a lost and sad-looking puppy...then be my guest."